Chapter 25

Ian pulled the van into a parking lot of a small convenience store. It was in the farthest north part of Great Plains, an area Ian had never visited. It was not quite suburbia, but not quite blue-collar neighbourhood either. It was quaint but not cute. The store was a chain convenience store, offering 24-hour service for just about anything someone would want, except good old healthy and wholesome food. Need a ready-made burrito, got it covered. Beer, plenty here. Soft drinks, by the can, bottle and fountain. Ian knew this chain well, as he had three within walking distance of his own apartment.

He and Lauren passed the trip northward talking small talk. Ian felt himself warming to Lauren, and he was sure that Lauren was warming up to him. While Kate was a dream, Ian could not shake his old habits of flirting with the women and trying to get to know them, and was not afraid of asking them out. And Lauren was as firm in his league as Kate was well out of it. Given his feelings about starting to take relationships further than just on a physical level, Ian thought he could really get to like Lauren.

He did a quick assessment on what he knew of her. She was pretty, but not a major head-turner. She was definitely intelligent. She had a strong will and decidedly could not be forced to do anything she did not want. Her strongest trait was that she was level headed and able to make others respect that. Ian also assessed that she had some major flaw like his indebtedness that allowed for her to be manipulated like him into participating in this heist. He could not claim with certainty that it was a driving need for money, but there had to be a major skeleton in her closet that the Benefactor was exploiting. Ian could overlook that. After all, one cannot be too picky when it comes to the dating scene.

Ian parked in a parking spot near the end of the lot. He put the vehicle in park, and sat back. He turned towards Lauren, and took a look in the back. Dean was still passed out holding his satchel.

"Well, this day has been long" Ian broke the silence.

"You are absolutely correct", said Lauren, also sitting back, relaxing.

"What are you doing this evening? Have any plans?"

"I am going to go to my apartment, drink a beer, and have a hot bath." She seemed to be imagining it at that time.

"Sounds relaxing" added Ian.

"And then I'm going to sleep for a week and hope to never see a white envelope ever again." She was speaking truth to power there.

Ian decided to make his move. "How about I split that beer with you? Can I join you?"

Lauren sat up. Bad sign. She looked over at him and smiled. Good sign. Lauren relaxed again. She took a deep breath and cleared her throat. "You know something, Ian?"

"What?"

"You are a nice guy, intelligent, quick to analyse things, but trying to be a bit of a player."

"Ummmm, you have me described pretty well."

"But your assessment is not perfect, nor is your ability to observe" she continued.

Ian started to see this ending badly.

"Do you see that person standing outside the store holding that dog?"

Ian looked to his left and saw a young woman of about 25 standing there drinking a soft drink. She was wearing a tight pair of yoga pants and a workout sweater that hugged her body revealing that she had a very attractive figure and was not afraid of showcasing it. She was holding the leash of a small dog, likely a mix between a Jack Russel Terrier and a Dachshund if Ian had to guess. "I see her."

"Do you think she's hot?"

"Ummm. Yeah, I do."

"So do I." And with that she opened the door and stepped out. With a wink and a wave, she turned towards the store and greeted the woman by the door with a kiss.