Chapter 4

Over the course of the next couple of days, Ian managed to largely forget about the interview. He took a few bets, winning wagers, and riding his bicycle around the city of Great Plains. Despite the winnings, financially, he still seemed to be further behind than ever.

School had taken a larger portion of his money this semester. He took his studies somewhat seriously, and certainly did not want to fail. Despite being a bit of a rebel, he still had the sense of responsibility that he could not shake. A foundation from his father perhaps. Regardless of where it came from, it was part of Ian's makeup. So, with studies taking up more time and more of his money, he needed more income than living from bet to bet.

In order to get himself out of financial woes, he had gotten himself a job. This job was a hit to his ego, but with the winter weather coming up, he needed something. And pizza delivery was what was available.

After a particularly distressing first shift at the pizzeria where he managed to get his job, Ian came home to find a message on his cell phone, which he purposefully remained ignorant on how to work. Grabbing a bottle of water from his refrigerator, he hit play.

"Hello Ian, this is Kate. You volunteered last week to help out in a study I am doing at UGP. I was wondering if you are still interested. If you are, can you meet me at the UGP psychology laboratory on campus at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon? If you aren't there, I'll understand. I'm sorry for not calling sooner, but I've been busy with this experiment. I hope to see you. Bye."

Her exhortation that she hopes to see him was all the motivation to get to the university. He had been wavering about his promise to take part in the experiment, but he had not totally forgotten about Kate. She did weigh on his mind as the one "who got away" or the one about whom he would fantasize. He took a good long drink of water. Now, she had called. Was this more than just the research calling? During their brief meetings, she had overtly said that she was being truly professional and her interest in him was purely academic. However, Ian had noticed a subtle subtext in her body language that left him hoping that she enjoyed his presence and would like to develop a better relationship with him.

The air outside was cooler than it was when he met her. But the autumn season was quickly approaching, and the colours in the city were starting to come alive. Ian rarely left the city, but he could tell by the smoke on the horizon that stubble burning was in full swing. It was going to be cold before too long.

He quickly grabbed his bus schedule, and started to plan out his day, which would include a requirement to be at UGP for 2 o'clock.