Chapter 5

Ian made his way up to the laboratory at the University of the Great Plains. Even though he was not a student here, he was familiar enough with the campus. His school was the cross city rival Great Plains State University. Ian had come down here on many occasions to check out books at the library, watch and bet on some sporting events, or just to party with the university crowds. He was mostly down there to see if he could win a quick bet or two from other students.

He opened the door to the complex of laboratories. He took a quick glance around, looking for any indication of where exactly he was to go. He then saw her, sitting at a desk poring over some papers. He was struck once again by her striking beauty. She still had the flawless skin look beneath the beautiful locks. The only difference was that this time, she had her hair up in a pony tail, keeping her looking professional, almost business like.

He imagined what it would be like to be able to walk anywhere with her on his arm. He was not a bad looking fellow, and indeed, he had no trouble finding women who were willing to go on a date with him. However, she had an elegance, allure and grace that were well out of his league. Ian dated women who liked beer and hockey games. Kate looked like she enjoyed champagne and the symphony. However, she did look like she had a regular rebelliousness about her that would find her in a ball shirt and ball cap at a baseball game, or to another extreme, wearing leather and studs at a metal concert.

"Can I help you?" The query from a strange student brought Ian right back to earth.

He looked at her, smiled and told her "I'm here to see Kate."

"Which Kate, we have several."

Ian smiled, but realised he did not know her last name. "Uhh, I don't know her name, but she is testing me for something to do with adrenaline junkies."

"Oh, OK. I'll get her." She quickly walked off, and Ian followed her path with his eyes hoping to catch another early glimpse of Kate.

Kate appeared around the corner with the other student who pointed in his direction. He smiled at her to let her know he was there, as if she needed it.

"Welcome to the lab." The warmth in her voice made him feel completely at ease. "You can come with me and we'll go to my desk.

He followed her promptly followed her to her desk, trying not to disturb her but wanting to get her attention. However, as soon as he sat down, she was all business. That was a bit disappointing. She suddenly did not seem particularly pleased to see him, but rather more annoyed at having been interrupted at her current task. She started clearing stuff off her desk, Ian was surprised that she did not appear ready despite knowing that he was going to be there at 2 o'clock. Did she expect him to not show? Ian's pride teased him with the notion that his presence knocked her off her game. That could not be true.

Ian did a quick assessment. Two options played out in front of him. She is obviously behind schedule. It is either because the tests are not going well, or Ian provides no value to the study. Ockham's Razor identifies the simplest scenario. She has no reason to doubt him, or doubt what he could offer. But it is simpler that the scheduling and testing is not going smoothly. Simpler to analyze the past than analyze the future. She is behind schedule.

Hoping to re-break the ice, he cleared his throat and offered an exploratory "Hello".

"I'm glad to see you made it. This should not take too long. We have everything ready for you."

"I'm always glad to help", Ian started, trying to thaw her almost complete, ice cold, façade.

She moved him over to a study carol desk, with its own light. "Please, have a seat, and take your time to complete this questionnaire. Once complete, I'll sit with you to verify if there are any follow up questions."