Chapter 35

Ian hoped he had arrived at the cafeteria far earlier than everyone else. He slept very little the night before. He was exhausted, running on pure fear and adrenaline. But given the surprises he faced on each of the planning meetings for the heist, surprise partners, and a cop's fist to the head, he wanted to ensure that there were as few surprises as possible waiting for him today.

While wearing a disguise did cross his mind, he had no skill at creating one. With his general lack of variety in clothing in his place and the fact that his brown skin was evident even behind sunglasses and a hoodie, every disguise he tried ended up looking like Ian in disguise.

He bought himself a coffee and sat along the far wall of the cafeteria, as far behind the garbage drop off as he could get without looking like that creepy guy who would inadvertently attract attention.

Ian was lucky that Lauren had suggested this cafeteria. Ian was a student here and despite his usual dislike for the cafeteria, or Caff as it was known locally, he could be seen here from time to time cramming for an exam or crushing out a paper. So, he was not a complete stranger. It was quieter than usual as the spring term had ended and summer term was usually not that busy, so there were fewer students about. Someone had made the decision to come here. It was a good one.

Ian took a look around the Caff, trying to figure out how to get out, if he had to. There were three main access ways to the dining portion. One off the main building to the far end of the Caff by the food stations, which led to the classrooms. One opposite it, again at the far end, which led to residences. And one that was at the near end, but across the Caff from Ian that led directly outside to the quadrangle.

The Caff was, surprisingly, a comfortable spot. It was moderately well lit and had evidently undergone a renovation some time in the past few years. It still had the 1970s era light fixtures that came out of the drop ceiling and hung down about one third of the way to the floor. Usually, they were just dust traps, but the staff here seemed to be on top of the lights, literally, keeping the dust off. The school had also taken to the environmental messaging by having every lightbulb replaced with a compact fluorescent lightbulb, which cast a harsh, bluish glow everywhere. This was not aided by the fact that the floors and most of the tables were white, which allowed for maximum blue light reflection and show every scuff and mark. As the light fixtures looked like they were permanent and original, Ian deduced that the floor plan for the Caff had probably not changed in decades. For some odd reason, that made him feel more comfortable.

Then Ian saw Bill. He came in scanning the room. It was not yet half past two, so Bill was plenty early. Given that Ian had been the last to every other meeting they had, he was in no position to deduce whether this was regular for Bill, or Bill was early for whatever reason. Bill was still scanning the room, almost certainly to see if anyone else was here. Ian dipped his head so his hoodie did not show his face. He wished he had brought a book or newspaper so he could have something else to hide behind and make him look less obvious. His coffee cup would have to do.

Bill, seemingly satisfied with his scan, went to the food purchase area of the Caff, near the corridor to the residency. Ian, looking to get some knowledge, did a quick Ockham's Razor on Bill's behaviour. Two options. First, scanning the room for others that have appeared early, despite knowing that everyone will meet at three. Second, scanning the room for any signs that there is a police presence. Option 2 is the simplest. Bill was looking for the police. And, even though Bill gave Lauren Ian's number, with Ian not giving it to Bill, Ian felt safer thinking that Bill had nothing to do with the police and Dean.

Bill exited the cashier's line up carrying a tray. On it appeared to be a piece of pie and a carton of chocolate milk. Well, if Bill wanted to blend into university life, his diet was bang on.