Chapter 68

Ian left the Diner after paying their coffee bill. Feeling a bit relaxed, he paid a $20 tip, which made Jen's day. Feeling the warm sun on his face, he turned to head home. Uh, he will have to stop thinking like that. He is going to have to move. It needs to be known as Dave's place.

Ian got to Dave's apartment and knocked. He did not expect to find Dave at home, and was thinking about how to slip the money under the door. But Dave was more than just a friend, and Ian needed to thank Dave and give Dave a full explanation. To his shock Dave answered the door.

Dave was getting dressed. He had a button-down shirt on, untucked, collar askew. He was not yet wearing pants, but there was a pair of dress pants on the back of the chair at Dave's kitchen table.

"You going somewhere?"

"I have an appointment with a bank for a loan to start a business."

"What? Where did this come from? I thought you were going to be at the gas station forever."

"I was. I even dreamt of taking it over and running it. But after that standoff in Prairie Crocus Park, I became energised. I never felt so alive. I felt afraid, but also empowered by taking chances that night. That convinced me that I need to take chances in my own life. I don't want to take life or death chances, but chances to make my life a life worth living."

"Really? I thought it would have another effect."

"Nope. I'm going to quit working at the gas station and start a business. And that is where you come in."

Ian stopped cold. "What does that mean? What do I have to do?"

"I want to start a bicycle courier business here in Great Plains. And I want you to be our Chief Operations Officer where you train and prepare others to carry packages for us. You can do the route planning and optimisation as well as set up training plans to get everyone up to speed, pun intended."

Ian had rarely seen Dave so passionate. It was going to be hard to stay out of it, the passion and energy being very contagious.

Dave continued, "This is what we need. We need a plan where we are our own bosses, and not being employed at the direction of someone else. With your bicycle and leadership skills, and my money management and computer skills, we are a team that has a chance at making it big."

Ian agreed. A year ago, running a business with Dave seemed like the perfect career. Today, it seemed like an even better one. But he had to drop the hammer. "I'd love to Dave, but I have to leave for a while. Can we put this plan on hold for a few months?"

"Why? What's going on?"

"I'm going to have to leave the area for a short while. I'm not sure when I'll be able to come back. That was an agreement made to allow the cops to get this thing to blow over." He held Dave's gaze for a second, trying to signal that this was a result of his activities and out of his control.

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm thinking of going on a trip. Maybe to Fiji. I think I need a holiday. Now that I am debt free, I have that flexibility. And to be honest, student life is not really for me at this point."

"I see." Dave did not seem worried about it. "I was hoping you'd join, but I'm going ahead with this anyways. I'm certain that I can hire someone to do that part of the job I was hoping you'd do. But I need to get dressed. I need to get to the bank to talk about getting a business loan."

With those words, Ian reached into his backpack. "Here, use this to help start your business."

Dave took the envelope and opened it up to see a considerable roll of bills.

"It's $6000. It's yours."

"Are you investing in my business?"

"Not at all. I will, to be sure. But this is yours. We ended up with some cash after last Saturday, and divided up, this is your share for sharing in the danger. It's yours buddy."

Dave smiled at the thought of not needing a bank loan. "Six thousand is a good start. And you'll invest? I'm going to ask for the loan, but I'm already good for cash. Ha."

Ian smiled. He was glad that he was able to help out. "Buddy, you tell me how much this business is going to need to get running, and I'll give you the money. Even if I have to rob a bank for it." The two of them shared a light chuckle over that.

Dave continued. "So, your take is what is paying for your trip? Very nice. Am I safe in saying Kate is going on the same trip as you?"

Ian was taken aback, once again. Dave seemed to know more than he let on. "No. We are all going in our separate directions. I'd love to bring her, but I haven't talked to her in a couple of months."

Dave, not the fool, just smiled a kind smile.

Ian cut him off. "I'm closing up my apartment. I am not moving out, as I don't have a place to put my stuff. So, you are more than welcome to use anything in there, or use my place for any purpose. My rent is paid for the next six months."

"Six months? Great! We'll be ready to start my courier operations then." Dave's smile was truly infectious.

"I concur." Ian stood to leave. Dave was dressed and he still had a bank appointment to attend. "I'll get out of your hair. I fly out on Wednesday, so I may see you between now and then."

"I hope so, but I still have shifts at the gas station."

Ian turned to leave, reading between the lines, and made for the door.

Dave grabbed him by the shoulder and spun him around. He embraced Ian tightly. "Thanks for being my friend."

It was the second such time in as many hours that someone said that to him. He did not know if it was him, or the others.

"Hey buddy, we are always friends. I'll stay in touch from Fiji." With a smile, he left the embrace and headed out the door.