Chapter 54

Ian was excited to call Kate. The Gillies stop had gone extremely well. It had gotten them the name of the Benefactor. Kate had seemed stressed at the notion that there would be no end of the Benefactor's reach. Now, with the name they were one major step towards resolving all their problems.

He got himself a celebratory beer from the refrigerator in his apartment and opened it up. After a good sip, he picked up his phone. As he was used to, there were no texts waiting, nor was there any phone calls missed.

He opened his contacts and scrolled down to see the name "Kate". He figured one day he would get the rest of her name and get a decent photo to attach to her contact. But for now, the single name "Kate" with a giant letter "K" above the number would have to do.

He tapped the phone and once he saw the call being connected, he put the phone to his ear. "Please pick up." He did not know how receptive she would be to his calling at this point.

"Hello." It was good to hear her voice. He knew she had display on her phone. She obviously knew it was him. Did he hear a positive tone in her voice?

"Hi Kate. It's Ian. We got hold of Stephen Gillies. He told us who the Benefactor is."

"That's great Ian." She sounded quite positive.

"Yeah. It'll all be over soon."

"What is the plan for the Benefactor?"

"Umm. We haven't gotten that far. We just have his name."

"What? Come on, Ian. I want this over. I need you to finish this. Don't call me until you do."

"Kate," Ian pleaded. "We are doing the best we can. I want this over too."

"I can't deal with this." With that, she hung up.

Ian looked at the phone in his hands. Part of him wanted to call her back right away and let her know that he understood. But he was uncertain whether she would answer, and if she did, if he would be able to convince her of his feeling for her.

He pressed her contact again. "What?"

"We are meeting tomorrow at 10. Will you be there?"

A pause that seemed to take forever to end. "I'll see." She then hung up again.

He was afraid his relationship with Kate was over.