Michael

Feeling something wet on my face, I fluttered my eyes open, however saw nothing, just the same dark, endless canvas of black, I'd seen all my life.

Yawning, I tried to sit up, however felt something heavy pressing down on my chest.

Groaning I reached up, and grouped around until my fingertips brushed against something soft and familiar, a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth, as I stroked it.

"Morning Lola." I mumbled.

I felt her tail, smack my leg repeatedly as she wagged it eagerly, licking my chin. Pursing my lips since French kissing my dog wasn't exactly something I enjoyed, I felt the pressure on my chest ease as she stood up and began washing my face with her wet tongue. Her breath, reeking of stale dog food, churning my empty stomach.

"Lola!" a familiar voice laughed suddenly from the doorway, "Down."

Obediently, Lola hopped off of me. Pricking my ears I listened to my Mom's footsteps as she entered my room, pulling open my bedroom curtains, my cheeks warming instantly with the sunlight, now pouring into the room.

"Good morning." Mom greeted.

"Morning." I mumbled sitting up, and swinging my legs over the side of my bed.

"How'd you sleep?" she asked.

"Good." I yawned, "You?"

"Horribly," She replied, "Maggie tosses and turns so much I thought she was going to kic...."

"Nana?" a small voice called out.

"I'm in Michael's room!" Mom called out.

I heard the sound of tiny approaching feet, before I felt someone jump onto my bed.

"Morning Michael!" my niece Maggie chirped, shouting into my ear.

"I'm blind not deaf Mags." I cried, my ears ringing.

"Sorry." She laughed, bouncing next to me.

"When is Mark going to be back again?" I asked.

"Not until next week." Mom replied.

"I get to stay here all week!" Maggie shrieked, "Isn't that great?"

"Fantastic." I yawned.

"I have a lot planned for today!" she informed me, "Like getting ice cream, and going to the park and...."

"Maggie, he just woke up." Mom interrupted, "Give him a minute."

Maggie sighed, "Can't you stay home from work Nana?"

"No," Mom laughed, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Maggie said quickly, "Me and Michael will have fun, won't we?"

"Yeah.... Heaps." I yawned, as the six year old climbed onto my back.

"So can we go to the park?" she asked.

"I don't think that's such a good idea." Mom sighed.

"Why not?" Maggie whined.

"Because, Michael can't watch you."

"Why not?"

"Because I can't see." I laughed.

"Why not?"

"Because I was born that way?"

"Why?"

"I don't know, why were you born such a pain in the ass?"

"Michael!" Mom cried.

"I'm kidding." I said quickly.

Being slowly suffocated by Maggie's tiny arms which were wrapped tightly around my neck I rose to my feet.

"Make me breakfast." Maggie ordered.

"If my eyes were open right now, I'd be rolling them." I grumbled, before starting slowly out of my room, feeling along the wall as I made my way through our one story house to the kitchen.

"Can I have coffee?" Maggie asked.

"Hell no!" I cried, "You're nuts enough as it is!"

Laughing, she released her hold on me, and slid down my back to the ground.

Not wanting to trip over to her, I shuffled over to the table and sat down. Smiling appreciatively as Mom set a bowl on the box of Cheerios down infront of me.

"So what are we going to do today?" Maggie asked, climbing into the chair next to me.

"I don't know." I sighed, "I was thinking maybe string you up by your toes in the basement and sacrifice you to the demon living under the stairs."

"Nana! Michael is being a meanie!" Maggie shouted.

"Michael be nice." Mom chided.

"He won't do anything fun with me." Maggie tattled.

"What do you want me to do?" I demanded.

"Why don't you two go up to the video store and pick up some movies for a movie day." Mom suggested.

"Yes!" Maggie squealed, "Can we Mikey can we please!"

"No." I groaned.

"Please!" She pleaded, latching into my arm, "I'll let you pick!"

"Michael come on now." Mom sighed.

"Fine." I grumbled.

"Yay! I love you!" Maggie cried, leaning on me as she climbed down from her chair, "I'm going to go go get my shoes!"

"What about breakfast?" I called after her, however she was already gone.