Michael

Sitting on Spencer’s front steps I ran my fingertips through Lola’s fur idly waiting for Lyra to show up which was much quicker then I anticipated.

Hearing the crunch of the gravel driveway beneath her car tires, I rose to my feet and holding Spencer’s hand lightly in my own, pulled her up with me.

Shuffling forward, I reached out awkwardly, Until my fingertips brushed against the warm glass of the driver side window, and waited for it to lower.

“Hello.” I greeted, when it did.

“Hi.” Lyra mumbled quietly.

“Lyra, this is Spencer, Spencer this is Lyra.” I said introducing the two.

“Hey Spencer!” a mildly familiar male voice greeted.

“Hey Ashton.” Spencer replied feigning some degree of enthusiasm.

“H-how um, how do you know my boyfriend?” Lyra questioned awkwardly.

“She’s the girl I told you about.” The boy, Ashton I guess his name was answered, “The one I took to Olive Garden.”

“You took Spencer to Olive Garden?” I said slowly.

“Yeah.” Ashton answered, “I hope that’s okay man. It was a strictly platonic affair. The only thing we shared was the bread basket.”

“Oh.” I mumbled.

I had no idea when this Olive Garden date had taken place and I wasn’t thrilled about it. I wasn’t angry, but I wasn’t thrilled either and I found myself kind of wanting to punch Ashton in the face or insult something he cared deeply about for no other reason than he took the girl that made me weak in the knees out for pasta. I wondered if they shared a bread stick; broke it in half, his greasy fingertips touching her half. Maybe she had gotten a smear of spaghetti sauce on her upper lip and he’d wiped it away. Hell, maybe they had split an entree and gone to town Lady and the Tramp style on a the noodles.

“Michael?” Spencer questioned, pulling my mind from the gutter where I was imagining the two of them going all the way using breadstick grease as lubricant.

“Yes?” I said quickly.

“Are you okay?” Lyra asked so softly I almost missed it, which made deciphering what she was saying near impossible since she tended to put the emphasis on the wrong syllable.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I replied, forcing a smile.

“So where do need us to take you?” Ashton asked, his tone dripping with the annoying positivity of someone who genuinely looks forward to Mondays as the start of a fresh week.

I wanted to tell him to forget it. That he could keep his paws to himself, however I realized that I would probably come off as a bit of a territorial savage, seeing as I was doing a poor job of hiding the fact that I was beyond irritated with the fact that he’d taken Spencer out on a fine dining excursion.

“Can you take us to Glen’s?” I sighed, through gritted teeth.

“Glen’s bowling alley?” Ashton questioned.

No, Glen’s taxidermy shop you insufferable fool, “Yeah, that’s the place.”

“Yeah, that actually sounds like a lot of fun!” Ashton said eagerly, “Maybe Lye and I could join you!”

“Oh no.” Lyra said quickly, her tone laced in utter panic.

“It’ll probably be crowded you two go I wouldn’t want to intrude.”

“It won’t be crowded.” Ashton laughed, “I used to work there, six days a week the place is dead. The only time it sees any action is on Sunday afternoons when old people have birthday parties.”

“I don’t know.” Lyra sighed.

“It’ll be fine.” Ashton assured her, “I’ll be with you the whole time and if you don’t like it we can leave. Okay?”

I wanted to tell him to quit butting into other people’s affairs uninvited like the fact kid at recess who tried to include himself in games in which he wasn’t welcome, however I remained silent.

“I suppose.” Lyra mumbled.

“Great!” Ashton gushed, “Super! This is going to be great!”