Michael

Running my fingertips through my hair I ran my fingertips through Lola’s fur as sat on the front porch waiting for Spencer. She said to be ready at six.

Sighing, I took my glasses off and rubbed my eyes before putting them back on. The sun was warm on my face however the temperature was dropping, the slight wind tugging at the hem of my jacket and caused the tree in front of the house to creak and groan as it swayed.

Chewing my lower lip I pulled my phone out of my pocket and pressed the center button.

“What time is it?” I questioned.

It beeped, then rattled off the time in a distant robotic voice.

It was 6:15.

She was fifteen minutes late.

Bringing my thumb up to my mouth I bit the peeling skin beside my nail anxiously.

I wondered where she was and where we were going, she hadn’t told me, apparently not even she knew, which I found both intriguing and somewhat terrifying.

Wrapping my arms tightly around myself for warmth I was debating whether or not to just go inside and wait in the house when I heard a car turn into the driveway. Feeling Lola stand at attention beside me I rose to my feet.

“Hey Michael!” Luke’s familiar voice rang out, “You ready?”

Nodding, I doubled checked that I had my key in my pocket in case I beat my Mom home before making my way over to the car. Grouping the vehicle until my fingertips brushed against the door handle, I pulled it open and helped Lola scramble inside before getting in myself.

“Hi.” Spencer greeted.

“Hi.” I replied, blushing furiously.

I don’t know why I suddenly felt so awkward around her. Perhaps it was because I knew her brother was in the car, and perhaps it had something to do with sharing the intimate act of slumber within each other’s company, however I wasn’t able to give it much thought because my wandering mind was quickly dragged back to the present as Luke lowered the radio and cleared his throat.

“Michael.” He greeted, “Spencer, I will be your chauffer this evening so if at any time you feel the need to hurl in my backseat, please do it in the designated bag car attendant Calum will be passing back.”

“Car attendant Calum?” Spencer said dubiously.

“Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times.” Calum said seriously, “Please remain seated and do not remove your seatbelt unless our driver or I instruct you to do so. In case of emergency please remain calm and wait until the vehicle comes to a complete stop before making your exit.”

“What is going on?” I demanded.

“Just go with it.” Spencer sighed.

Nodding I listened to Calum carry on about car etiquette before I was passed a paper sandwich bag.

“What is this?” I asked.

“Barf bag.” Calum replied.

Frowning, wondering what kind of driver Luke was if barf bags were required, I turned the bag over in my hands as we backed slowly out of the driveway.

“Good evening lady and gentleman.” Calum greeted as we turned out of my neighborhood and onto the main road, “Who’s ready to have a good time this evening?”

Spencer and I remained silent.

“Let’s see those hands, who’s ready for a fun time!” Calum coaxed.

Hesitantly I raised my hand.

“Alright!” Calum laughed, “Please sit tight Lady and gentleman our destination is thirty miles away.”

“Where are we going?” Spencer questioned.

“That is for us to know and you to find out.” Luke responded, “Please just sit back, relax and enjoy the Luke and Calum dating experience.”

“I’m very confused.” I admitted.

“We owe Spencer.” Calum informed me, “We’re repaying out debt in the form of a date.”

“It’s not a date with you two here.” Spencer scoffed.

“Why not?” Luke asked.

“You’re my brother!” Spencer cried, “That’s weird. I’m uncomfortable.”

“Keep things G rated Ma’am and we won’t have a problem.” Luke chuckled.

Muttering under her breath, Spencer fidgeted around in her seat. Smirking, more than a little amused I sat quietly listening to the painfully cheesy mushy love songs Calum and Luke were playing one after another.

The ride wasn’t long however it seemed to be a small eternity before we pulled to a stop.

“Are you kidding me?” Spencer demanded beside me.

“What?” I questioned, “Where are we?”

“Stop number one!” Calum announced, “Seven Eleven!”