Spencer

I had no idea what was going on with Michael and Maggie, however the pleading desperation in his hysteria laced voice was enough to tell me that this was one of those occasions when it’s acceptable to barge in on your brother and his sleeping girlfriend and demanded a ride.

Covering my eyes with my hands since I had enough common sense to know that if you have a girl stay over, you’re more then likely going to sleep with her,  which is just a nice of way of saying they did the no pants dance, I raised my fist and knocked three times, hard.

One of those knocks that says, I’m not playing around, either you open up or I’m coming in.

Which must have worked because the next thing I knew, the door was swung open and a bed hair having Luke emerged, wearing Ninja Turtles boxers, which I’m sure would have been cute on a six year old, however on a eighteen year old, they looked vaguely creepy and like the beginnings of a man who would be spending the rest of his adult life living in his Mother’s basement.

“What do you want?” he yawned, rubbing his eyes.

“I need a ride.”  I said quickly,  braiding the ends of my hair hastily.

“It is eight in the morning.” Luke informed me, “On a Saturday, you’re out of your mind Spence. Wake me when it’s not the ass crack of dawn.”

He then started to close the door in my face, however lunging forward, I stuck my foot in the way.

“What?” he whined, swinging the door back open and leaning on it heavily, “It’s too early for this Spencer.”

“Michael needs my help.” I snapped, “Mom is still at work and I can’t drive so either you’re taking me or I’m going to have to get mean.”

“Define mean.”

“I’ll tell Mom you had a girl over.”

Luke’s eyes widened for a moment, then furrowed, “I didn’t have a girl over.” He said slowly.

Rolling my eyes I pushed him out of the way and entered his room however froze at the sight of a sleeping Calum.

“I heard you.” I said carefully, watching his face for some flicker of his lying smirk, however found none.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He sighed, pushing me out of his room.

Chewing my lower lip I looked from Calum, who was sleeping peacefully and looked down right adorable as much as it pained me to admit it, to Luke.

“I need a ride.” I muttered, “Please Luke, it’s important.”

Rubbing his eyes with the heel of his palm Luke sighed.

“Please.” I repeated, “I’m worried.”

Sighing, Luke nodded. Thanking him I watched as he shook Calum awake, then dug around in the piles of clothes that littered his floor for something to wear, before pulling on a pair of sweatpants, a t-shirt and tugging a beanie over his messy hair.

Looking like he would nothing more than to throttle the both of us, Calum shimmied into a pair of athletic shorts and a sweatshirt before trudging out to the car behind Luke and I.

“This is so stupid.” He muttered, climbing into the backseat and lying down in a fetal position.

“If you stop complaining I’ll buy you both hash browns at McDonalds.” I sighed.

That shut them up.

The rest of the ride was silent because the boys were both too tired to talk and wanted the promised potatoes, and because I was too worried to speak.