Michael

“Oh my God! What is going on in here?”

My heart dropping I felt Spencer sit up abruptly.

“Michael!” my Mom cried, “What is she doing here?”

“I’m sorry.” Spencer apologized, “I’m so sor…”

“Save it missy.” My Mom snapped, “Michael, up. Now.”

Groaning I sat up and smiling at Spencer sympathetically climbed out of bed. Shuffling over to my bedroom door I felt my arm grab my arm, her nails digging into my flesh as she pulled me out of my room and down the hall to her own.

Closing the door behind us, she released me.

“Spill it.” She spat.

“Spencer came over.” I said lamely.

“I can see that.” Mom snapped, “Would you care to elaborate why?”

“Be-because I asked her to.” I lied.

“Michael,” she sighed, “Why would you do that?”

“We didn’t do anything!” I said quickly.

“Oh you better hope you didn’t.” she groaned, “While I’m down the hall Michael, really?”

“Mom I swear we just talked and fell asleep.” I said quickly.

“You didn’t…. you know?”

“No! No! God no! Mom come on.”

Sighing, in defeat her bed squeaked as she sat down.

“Please don’t be mad at Spencer.” I pleaded, “I asked her to come, she was just being nice.”

“Michael.” My Mom muttered, her voice muffled, leading me to assume she had her face buried in her hands.

“Yes?” I questioned.

“We’ve never had the talk.” She said slowly.

“Mom no!” I cried, “Not right now please!”

“Well it needs to happen if you’re going to be sneaking girls into your room!”

“I’m not sneaking girls into my room, I snuck a girl into my room, the girl.”

“Michael…”

“Mom…”

“We’re having the talk when I get home from work.” She muttered.

Wincing, I nodded.

Rising to her feet she crossed over to me and kissed me lightly on the cheek before leaving the room. Taking a shaky breath I followed out behind her and walked back down the hall to my room.

“Spencer?” I questioned.

I was met with a dejected sniff in reply.

Frowning, I closed the door behind me.

“Spence?” I said tentatively, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” She said quickly, “Too quickly.”

“No you’re not.” I mumbled, shuffling over to the bed and sitting down beside her, “What’s wrong?”

“Your Mom.” She choked out, “She hates me!”

“Spencer.” I sighed, “She doesn’t hate you.”

“She must think I’m some kind of moralless skank!”

“Spencer.”

“This is a small town! Word will spread! They’re going to put it on my tombstone! Here lies Spencer Anne Hemmings the Gut Ditch sleeze!”

“Spencer stop it.” I chuckled, “My Mom doesn’t think you’re a moralless skank.”

“Michael what if by some fluke we end up staying together, getting married, having kids! I’m going to be the annoying wife everyone talks about when she leaves the room!”

“Spencer.” I laughed, “Are you listening to yourself?”

“I have to go.” She mumbled, rising hastily to her feet.

“Spencer, come on, it’s okay.”

Ignoring me, she left the room, closing the door lightly behind her. Cursing quietly under my breath I rose to my feet and followed after her, stopping in the hall hearing my Mom address her in the kitchen.

“Spencer?” she questioned, “Is everything okay?”

“Yes.” Spencer said quickly, “No, it’s…it’s not I’m so sorry Mrs. Clifford.”

Shuffling forward I pricked my ears to listen.

“Why are you sorry?” my Mom asked sounding confused.

“I slept over.” Spencer wept, “I went behind your back and snuck in your house and I am so so sorry. You must hate me! If I were you I’d hate me.”

“It’s probably for the best that you’re not me then.” My Mom replied.

“What?” Spencer sniffed.

“Sweetheart I’m not mad.” My Mom replied, “Surprised, yes. A little annoyed at the situation in general but not at you. I mean, when I was your age I was… I was a holy terror that’s what I was. I’m glad, if Michael is going to be sneaking girls into his room, that it’s you.”

“Really?” Spencer questioned.

“Really.” Mom assured her, “Now, I’m late for work, I really have to go but there’s bagels in the fridge and about twelve kinds of cheerios in the cupboard, feel free to help yourself.”

“Thank you.” Spencer said slowly, sounding surprised.

“Don’t mention it.” My Mom replied, and then she was leaving, the garage door opening and closing behind her.

Sure she was gone, I hesitantly entered the kitchen.

“I told you she wasn’t mad.” I said smugly.

“I was so scared.” She mumbled.

“I know.” I laughed, “Come here.”

Opening my arms I waited for her to walk into them, which she did. Wrapping my arms around her, I kissed the top of her head lightly.

Squeezing me lightly, I felt her open her mouth to speak however was cut off by the honking of a horn outside.

“Who’s that?” she questioned.

“No idea.” I replied, grabbing her by the hand and pulling her behind me to the front door.

Opening the door I stepped out onto the porch and heard Spencer groan behind me.

“What’s wrong?” I demanded, “Who is it?”

“Well if it isn’t the love birds!” Luke’s familiar voice called out.

“Come on Spencer!” Calum laughed, “Time to go home.”

“You guys suck.” Spencer shouted, “You have to make everything weird.”

“Goodluck.” I chuckled, shoving my hands in my pockets.

“I’ll need it.” She grumbled.

“I’ll see you around?” I questioned.

“I’ll call you.” She muttered.

And then she was walking way, Luke and Calum signing Walk of Shame loudly and obnoxious undoubtedly alerting the entire neighborhood.

"It's not a walk of shame you shits! We didn't do anything shameful!" she shouted.

More than a little embarrassed I gave a wave in their general direction before taking refuge in my house, a small smile tugging at the corners of my mouth.