Michael

“Oh my God.”

“What? You’re slowing down… Are we here? Is this it? Why oh my God? Is it really small?”

“No…Michael… it’s huge.”

Surprised since for some reason I had automatically assumed Spencer and I were economical equals I turned and rested my forehead against the cool glass window of the car, wishing, as I often did that I could see out.

“Do you want me to go up to the door with you?” my Mom questioned, resting a hand on my knee.

“No Mom!” I cried, “This is a date!”

“I know, I know.” She said quickly, “It’s just there are a lot of front steps and I don’t want you to trip.”

“Lola will have my back, won’t you Lols?”

Panting, Lola leaned forward in her sear and sniffed the back of my ear.

“I don’t know.” Mom said slowly.

“What do you think is going to happen?” I questioned.

“Well.” She sighed, “I don’t know these people. Maybe they afford this house by running a brothel in the basement and selling drugs on the weekends.”

“Mom.” I laughed, “Her Mom is a baby doctor and her Grandpa is Olaf.”

“Olaf Hemmings?” she cried.

“The one and only.” I replied.

“Michael!” she breathed.

“For a blind guy I know how to pick them don’t I?”

Making a sound of mock annoyance in the back of her throat, she swatted my arm.

“What?” I laughed.

“Just get out.” She sighed amusedly.

“Oh, so just because she’s in the Hemmings dynasty and in line for the Grocery store fortune you assume they’re good people?” I demanded, “This could all be part of an elaborate scheme. Spencer lures boys in, her family kills him, chops him up and sells him at the meat counter to be served with a side of mashed potatoes and a tossed salad!”

“Michael.” My Mom laughed, “I love you, but I’m not your chauffer, I need to get back to work.”

Sighing, dramatically I unbuckled my seatbelt and opening my door climbed up.

“If I die in there.” I said solemnly, “Just know. That I love you. And that it was me that broke Nana’s vase, not Maggie.”

“Michael!” she gasped.

Smiling, I closed the door before I could get a lecture, then moved to the door to the backseat and retrieved Lola.

Bidding my Mom farewell, I gripped Lola’s harness firmly before starting across the damp front lawn to the front steps, which were slow going, before reaching the front door.

Taking a deep breath, I reached out a hand to ring the doorbell, however before I could, I heard the door swing open infront of me.

Startled, I tightened my grip on Lola’s harness.

“Hi!” a familiar voice greeted, “It’s Luke. Spency! Your boy toy is here!”

Feeling my cheeks burn red with embarrassment, I felt Luke, grab me by the arm lightly and start pulling me forward.

“Careful.” He warned, “There’s a step.”

I tripped on it anyway, however he steadied me before I could face plant.