A Night To Remember

~Moments are to memories as stars areto constellations~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 29, 2009

After my morning session with Erik, which really just turned out to be a basic routine check up. How did you sleep? Did you eat all of your breakfast? Any stomach pains? Any headaches? Am I adjusting well to my new surroundings? How is mine and Jace's relationship? How do I feel after yesterday's talk? I know he's going to get right down to it by this evening's session. That'show he works. He's your friend in the morning and your interrogator in the evening.

Instead of heading straight back to my room, I decide to walk around the place and see if there's anything else to do. I'm starting to get cabin fever from being locked away in my room all the time. When I did it by choice it was one thing, but now that I really can't leave this place, it just plain sucks to not have complete freedom.

I pass a few rooms, respectfully avoiding looking inside, not wanting to disrupt the other patients. I find the cafeteria and am drawn in by the sweet aroma of coffee and pastries from the Starbucks. Feeling my stomach growl impatiently I take a deep breath and try to block out the dark thoughts trying to sway my decision and instead imagine Jace's words from yesterday.

"You're beautiful, Kai. You're not disgusting in any way, you're gorgeous inside and out. Your body needs this to stay healthy... give it what it wants."

With those words burning in my mind, I push open the glass door and walk up to the counter and look up at the brightly lit board full of options. There are so many drink options and each one looks tastier than the last. The food looks fatty, but my stomach growls and as much as I hate what it can do to me, I also can't wait to see the proud look on Jace's face when I tell him I took it upon myself to snack on something other than my daily meals. I'm making this decision, I need to gain weight, whether I like it or not. If I want out of here, I need to be healthy.

"Buddy, are you going to order or what?" An oddly familiar voice says from behind me.

I turn and come face to face with none other than Jared, my worst nightmare and childhood tormentor. Fear shoots through me and I quickly whip back towards the girl at the cash register who looks confused as to whether she should be impatient or concerned for me.

"Uh, I-I'll take a multi-grain bagel and a-uh-pumpkin spice latte," I stutter, feeling my hands start shaking as I shove them in the pockets of my sweat pants.

When the girl calls me to grab my order at the counter, I start fumbling around to get my money, but jump when I see a hand slap down the right change. I look up at Jared's face, which looks almost perplexed until he turns to the girl and gives her a rather friendly and flirty smile before grabbing his food and gesturing for me to follow him. I gulp audibly. Oh god, this isit. All my progress was for not. Jared's going to kill me right here, right now. Goodbye world, it was nice knowing you. Kind of, not really.

I nervously watch as Jared takes a seat and looks up at me expectantly. Not wanting to anger the beast, I sit down across from him and my eyes shoot to the table, refusing to look up into what I assume is a threatening glare.

"You haven't been in school for quite a while," Jared says, sounding calmer than I think I've ever heard him sound before.

I nod, awkwardly sipping on my drink, enjoying the taste rather than thinking of all the calories I'm ingesting.

"Uhm, who are you here to visit? I just got done visiting my sister when I saw you... don't know why, but I thought I should say hi?" He mumbles awkwardly. "I know you probably don't want to talk to me, but... fuck, I don't know. Why are you here, Harkins?"