The Time is Right

July 23, 2009

I wake to the smell of coffee and baking, which at first makes me super happy, because I think that Jace is ready and waiting for me with breakfast. Then the sinking realization causes me to sigh as I sit up, seeing that I am still in the loft of the book shop. What is the cause of that smell, then? I look around and my eyes pause at the little coffee table and notice there is a coffee and bagel sitting there with a little note. I quickly unfold it and read the sloppy, unfamiliar writing.

Kai,

I came to check on you this morning,but you were still passed out and I really didn't want to wake you.You looked rather exhausted. Your boss kind of went off on me about how I used to bully you though, and didn't really believe me when I said we were okay now. So, yeah, I left this here for you and kind of ran. He was scary for an old geezer. Come back to the hospital or call me when you're feeling up to it and I'll pick you up.

-Jared

I smile at the letter and can almost picture Mr Hughes scolding Jared like a misbehaved pup with his gravelly, wheezy voice. I really appreciate the thought, but for some reason I just don't feel up to eating. I know I should, because upset or not, I can't slip back into old habits, but I can't shake the nauseous feeling I have. My thoughts keep drifting to yesterday and the whole thing just makes me ill.

I start sipping on the coffee, but grab the bagel and make my way downstairs where Mr Hughes is currently organizing some new books. The second he hears my creaking steps coming down the stairs, he turns to me and gives me a confused look,but smiles none the less.

"Well, it's about time you woke up," the old man teases. "Want to tell me why I had a heart attack this morning when I went upstairs to adjust the thermostat and find a boy passed out on my sofa?"

I frown and walk over, trading him the bagel for the stack of books, continuing his work for him as he thanks me and takes a seat in a nearby chair to munch on the breakfast. "I came back from London early... needed a place to sleep and this was the only place I could think of. Sorry, sir."

He shakes his head at me, "Don't be silly. I told you that you're always welcome here. I'd offer you to stay at my apartment above the store, but I don't have a spare room and in all honesty, that sofa is comfier than mine. You're welcome to stay as long as you need. I won't ask why you're not going to your home, I'll wait for you to tell me if you want me to know."

With that, he smiles at me and turns back into his little office to sort some things and I manage a small hollow smile even though he's already gone. I really appreciate him not pushing me for answers. It's a relief to just be taken in without having to give reason for why you need the comfort and shelter. I'm really happy I have someone like Mr Hughes in my life, the old man who has somehow been there for me my whole life.

After finishing my coffee, I decide that while I'm here I might as well get to work and open shop for the day. I quickly sweep the front entrance, dust the curtains and pull them open to allow the natural light to fill the room and bring out the bold colours of the many books on display. By the time I'm not setting up the store it's nearly eight o'clock and it's time to open.So I quickly flip the closed sign to open and take my position behind the counter and pull out the manga I had been reading during my last shift.

Several customers later and it's already the afternoon and Mr Hughes is trying to convince me to go get some lunch or at least allow him to cook (even though he and I both know the poor guy couldn't boil water without something going wrong).I'm about to say no for the last time when the door swings open and I feel my heart hurt at the familiar voice, knowing why they are here and feeling extremely guilty.