Chapter 1

Remember to vote and comment.

-Chapter 1 -

King Edward

I enter my study and Alby stands in front of my desk. He bows when he sees me, I walk across the room and sit at my desk. "Your Majesty we must discuss the matter of finding you a new wife."

"So soon minister?"

"Sire with all respect, you need a queen by your side."

I take a ring off my index finger and start playing with it. "Tell me, why would that be minister Alby?"

"Your people-"

"Require time to mourn as do I."

"Your Majesty with all respect you didn't even see your late wife when she was on her deathbed."

I set the ring on the desk in front of me and stand. "How dare you disrespect the late queen so soon after her death. How dare you insult me with full knowledge that you were the one keeping me from seeing her!"

"Your Majesty, please control your temper, the Medu Council thinks it would be wise to find you a new wife, but in a way that will give you choices."

"Thomas Alby you are dismissed."

"Your Majesty- of course."

He bows and runs out the door, the footman closing it behind him. Then the sound of hushed and angry conversation sneaks under the door. I sit down and wait for the conversation to finish.

"He dismissed me! Like I was a peasant!"

"We need a marriage Alby."

"I know Henry, but he's hung up on his dead wife!"

"I'll talk to him."

"You'll get your head bit off!"

"Someone needs to have the guts- from the looks of it, it's not you."

"Then go."

The door opens and a short, stout man walks into the room. He bows and begins flapping his gums. "Your Royal Majesty, you need a wife. The Medu Council has decided that any woman of noble birth may come to the palace and compete for your hand. We are allowing women to begin coming on October first, two days after the funeral, which takes place tomorrow evening. One girl will go home each week."

"Henry Lawson, why do you assume there will be enough women to eliminate one or more each week?"

"Sire with all due respect, you are the most eligible man to marry as of fourteen hours ago."

I lean back in my chair and think back to his conversation with Alby. "And if I decide to bite your head off?"

"Your Majesty I am only a servant to the crown, it would matter not."

"Good. We will not discuss the matter of marriage until after the funeral. You are dismissed."

His face turns to the shade of a beet, "You cannot dismiss me as if I am naught but a peasant."

"Lawson, who is in charge here?"

"You."

"Correct. Now who is suffering from the loss of his dear late wife?"

"You, but-."

"And do I have the authority to dismiss you?"

"Yes."

"Then get out of my sight like I asked you to five minutes ago!"

"Your Majesty, I am only trying to do what is best for you and the country. For the last five years I have been nothing but your faithful adviser, take my advice."

I sit up, pick the ring up off of the table, slide it onto my index finger, and interlace my hands, resting my elbows on the desk. "Henry Lawson, what were you doing before those five years?"

"Serving my country."

I take my elbows off the desk and unlace my fingers, leaning back in my chair. "By being a drunk soldier in my army, who nearly killed the entire front line of my men. Please explain to me why you are qualified to tell me to get a new wife fourteen hours after my first wife's death."

"My king look at what happened to Phillip VII when he did not remarry. His country was torn apart by his enemies and executed for treason against his country for not remarrying. I am only trying to advise you."

"Yes, because people are going to chop my head off for waiting at least a year when Phillip was killed fifteen years after his wife's death. This conversation can wait a few days. If you are so set upon this competition of your's so be it. Call them all to my home. But let me be clear, no more than 30 women will be allowed in my home. I will send home as many as I please. None of them will enter my home until October first! Am I understood minister?"

"Yes Your Majesty. I will entrust Thomas Alby to sending the letters to the fathers. I will complete the rest of the arrangements needed. May I withdraw?"

I nod, he quickly bows and rushes out of the room. A twinge of pain enters my temples. I remove my crown, place it on the desk and walk out of the room. I stop walking as soon as I leave the room. "Brodie, find the servant who takes care of my crown and inform him I have left it in my desk in my study."

"Yes Your Majesty, is there anything else you need?"

"No, but thank you."

"Of course."

He bows and I continue walking to my private quarters. Maids and ladies of the court drop into curtsies as I pass. Two footmen nod to me as they pass carrying the boxes to my study. The two guards stationed outside my chambers open the doors. I walk through the door and the guards close the doors behind me. I undo all of the gold buttons and shrug out of my black jacket. Then, I hang the jacket on the back of the chair at my desk. I grab the boot jack from under my desk and work my boots off of my feet. I place the boots next to my next and place the boot jack back underneath the desk. Then, I climb into bed and begin to try and take a short nap.

A/N: WHAT HE'S GETTING MARRIED AGAIN! HIS WIFE JUST DIED! chill. we gotta have a plot. thank you all for starting to read. remember to vote and comment. chapter 2 next week. love you all. stay beautiful and amazing -m