Chapter 40

King Edward

I walk through the palace searching for John.

"Lucia, have you seen John Gifford?"

"I think I saw him heading towards the library."

"Thank you."

I start walking towards the library, thinking of how to phrase everything so I can tell John. I open the doors to the library and see him sitting at one of the side tables. I walk over to him and sit in the chair across from him.

"John, I need to speak with you."

He closes the book and sets it off to the side, "What can I help you with, Edward?"

"I need to speak with you about your cousin, Isabella."

"About what?"

"I seem to have fallen into a hole when it comes to her."

"How so?"

"I have grown quite fond of her."

"And?"

"I believe that I want her to be one of the three final contestants for my hand."

"Why have you told me this?"

"I have felt the need to speak with you about this."

"I see, I fully support your decision Edward."

"Thank you, John. Should I be worried about your cousin?"

"No, she is a good woman, and I know that she will not mind."

"Thank you for your counsel, John."

"Of course Edward."

"One more thing John."

"Yes Edward?"

"She lives at Caralein House, correct?"

"Yes."

"Thank you."

<><><>

I leave my chambers and start walking down the hall. The door to Phillipa's chambers open and she walks out in a gown of the deepest plum.

"Hello, dear brother."

"Are you ready for the first Chríste in ten years?"

"Yes. I do miss the Ceree cakes."

"How have you lived these past ten years?"

"I do not know."

"Well, I suppose you will have to eat ten years worth of Ceree cakes then."

"Are you trying to make me get fat?"

"No dear sister."

"Don't lie to me."

"I'm not."

"Good."

We enter the ballroom which has been decorated with trees, gold, other greenery, sun, and stars. The smells of chocolate and spices fill the air. The musicians begin to play the ballad of creation. A group of ballerinas leap onto the stage and begin to act out the story the musicians play. They throw flowers into the air and twirl colored ribbons around each other. Twisting their bodies into shapes of trees, animals, and landforms. When the ballad is over they fall to the floor and we all applaud them. Whistles and shouts, clapping and cheering. The cakes are brought out and disappear as quickly as they come. Ale, wine, cakes, and other food fill our bellies and cloud our heads. Confirmation of what is to happen with the competition comes to me, and I tuck the thought into my mind, making sure I will have it tomorrow.

<><><>

"Thank you for meeting at such a short notice. Although I do not require the permission of the council, I would like their acceptance and blessing to marry..."

A/N: 4 more chapters! School's starting in about a week so the sequel might take a month to get up. The first chapter will probably be up in October at the latest. Thank you so much for reading. Love, M