Chapter 38

King Edward

The carriage jolts to a stop and the door to John and I's carriage opens. We exit the carriage and the smell of saltwater fills the air. The white marble pillars surrounding the palace stretch into the sky with the beach lying hundreds of yards away from them. I mock bow to John, "Welcome to my illustrious palace, Litore Maris."

"I thank you, good king. Perhaps we should go for a swim later."

"Ah, not at this time of year my friend."

"Tell that to my father and all the years I've lived by the sea."

"You never will be the lord everyone but your family and I think you are."

"Oh you wound me Edward."

Other carriages begin to pull into the carriage yard and other members of the court begin to exit their carriages. I watch as Isabella exits her carriage and opens her arms to the sea air. She looks over to us and begins to walk over to John and I.

"John! It's like being at Uncle Phillip's again."

"Yes it is."

I walk away from them and walk to the middle of everyone, "Please ask the servants where your room is. There are name cards outside of every bedroom. I will see you all at dinner."

I walk out of the crowd and into the palace.

<><><>

I look out the window and see the empty courtyard. I walk down the grand staircase, through the large double doors and out into the courtyard. The swift sea air brings the scent to the ocean to me and calls me out to the beach. I walk along the dirt path to the beach. When it comes into view peace fills me. I stroll along the beach, staring out at the ocean, trying to picture what advice my father would give me. My father places his hands on my shoulders. I watch the invading navy in the distance through his spyglass. Questions, information, distances, and calculations fill my head. Tension fills and knots itself in my shoulders. "Edward. Slow down, back up and just look. Don't think, don't try to fix anything, just look." I stop walking and focus on the horizon. Images of a wedding and a funeral come to mind. I shake the images from my mind and walk backwards. A shriek of surprise comes from behind me as I bump into something. I turn around and see Lady Angele Fleming.

"Forgive me, Lady Fleming. I was not watching where I was going."

"It is quite alright, Your Majesty. I was not watching where I was going either."

I nod to her and continue to walk along the beach, away from Litore Maris. The sounds of squawking birds and waves breaking onto the beach cover anything other noise. "Your Majesty, may I join you on your walk?"

I turn around and see Isabella standing with her hands clasped in front of her. The navy dress she is wearing twisting around her legs in the strong wind. "Of course."

I offer her my arm and she takes it, clasping her hands around the crook of my right arm. We begin to walk down the beach, away from Litore Maris. "Do you like it here?"

"I do, but I must admit whomever named the palace certainly lacked imagination."

"Well, I think that my great grandfather would be offended, but I do agree with you."

She laughs into the wind, "Oh, Edward, please continue to be as bold as brass, it's far more entertaining."

"Entertaining?"

"Yes."

"How am I, the ever so serious King of Asura, entertaining?"

"Well, you are far too serious sometimes, but you speak your mind, which is not something many people do."

"So the fact that I am serious is amusing?"

"No! But when people are bold and speak their minds it can be. Or maybe you are just a wonderful conversationalist."

"Wonderful? I think that may be pushing it a little bit."

"Perhaps, but you are an easy person to talk to."

"Really?"

"Yes. It's like I am talking to a friend."

"Thank you."

<><><>

The two weeks pass quickly. Many walks on the beach or through the forest fill my days. Noble women join me sometimes, many times I walk alone with my thoughts. Laughter and gossip fill the nights and dinners. Some days the servants build a large bonfire in the sand, lighting up the night, casting shadows over the face of the woman with a slim scar across her face.

A/N: have a good day! thank you for reading. love, M