Chapter 36

Isabella Victoria

I take a flute of wine off of a tray and take a sip. I walk through the crowd looking for a place to stand. A hand touches my shoulder, I turn around and see the Dauphine Isabel Castile. "Can I help you, Dauphine?"

"No, but I wanted to apologize to you."

"For what?"

"The cut on your face, the man thought you were me. I am sorry that he hurt you."

"Dauphine, it is not your fault, it is only the man's."

"But you took an injury that was meant for me, surely there is something I must be able to do."

"Dauphine you must not trouble yourself over these things. You did nothing wrong."

"But-"

"Dauphine, it is not your fault. If you will excuse me, I am needed by my cousin."

"Of course."

I bow my head to her and walk off into the crowds, searching for John. As I look around the room, I see the king move towards the table and sit. The court slowly begins to take their seats at the table. When everyone is seated, servants stream into the room from the double doors carrying platters, jugs, and goblets. They set the platters on the table and begin to fill goblets with a light wine. Laughter, conversation, and the clinking of plates, silverware, and goblets surround me.

"Oh did you hear? The Princesa and the lady with stitches in her face were attacked this morning?"

"No!"

"Look at that dress."

"This wine is horrible."

"I want there to be another ball."

"I wanted to dance with the king, but he just danced with the lady whose face is stitched up."

"I just liked the food."

"I miss my wife."

"I don't want to go home to my husband tomorrow."

"Why not Cara?"

"He's horrid! Do not even get me started-"

"My father needs to send me more money."

"I just want to go home."

"Look at him, isn't he worth staying?"

"You are so naughty!"

"I try."

"For shame."

"Lady Parr, I don't believe we've ever met, my name is Lord Albert Sayer."

"Hello Lord Sayer, how may I help you?"

"I do not mean any disrespect, but I was simply wondering how many stitches you have?"

"Twenty-two."

"Quite impressive. I must say, most noblewomen I know would be complaining about the lack of beauty they have now."

"Ah, but Lord Albert, I happen to think scars are beautiful, and that is the difference between me and most of my sex."

"You are quite bold-"

"But, no one can match the boldness of the Princesa."

"Quite true Lady Parr, quite true."

<><><>

The king taps his knife against his goblet and stands.

"You are all being invited to spend the next week at my seaside palace Litore Maris. If you do not wish to come there is no need to and you may remain at the palace or return home to your families for the week. We will leave tomorrow after breakfast."

The king steps away from the dining table and leaves the dining hall. Everyone slowly begins to leave behind him. I quickly stand and exit the hall, rushing towards my rooms. 

A/N: The Second Queen will be fully up on Wattpad by the 25th of August. Thanks for reading.