Chapter 25

King Edward

I rest my hand on my forehead as I sit on my throne, surrounded by noblewomen.

"Your Majesty, you must come dance."

"Later Lady Florence Abruzzo."

"Later everyone will be tired."

"But Your Majesty!"

"I will dance when I feel like dancing noble ladies."

"YOUR MAJESTY! You must dance."

"Please dance with me."

"What kind of gentleman are you if you don't dance?"

"Please."

"Your Majesty, you need to dance."

The women shift and move closer to me. As they move closer and continue to attempt to pressure me into dancing a hole in the crowd of noblewomen appears, revealing the crowd. A bit of the way into the crowd I see Lady Isabella, in a new gown, making her way through the crowd. I stand up from my throne and walk away from the noblewomen. They trail behind me as I walk towards Lady Isabella. People jostle in the crowd, dancing off of the dance floor, laughing and gesturing as they speak. The lady is shoved to the side and she stumbles backwards. I catch her hand and pull her upright. "Thank you for your assistance, Your Majesty."

"It is nothing Lady Isabella. May I have this dance?"

"You may."

I lead her out onto the center of the dance floor, I place my hand on the middle of her back and extend our intertwined hands to the side and begin to lead her around the dance floor. "Is this your first dance this evening?"

"For the second half of the ball, lady Isabella."

"I see, do you not like to dance?"

"I enjoy dancing, if it is with the right person."

"Who would this mysterious person be?"

"I do not know, Lady Isabella."

"I do not believe you, Your Majesty."

"Why is that?"

"You may believe that you wear a strong mask, but there was joy in your eyes when you said you enjoy dancing with the right person."

"Perhaps you are right, Lady Isabella."

We stop talking, a soft smile rests on her face as I spin her around the dance floor. Other pairs of dancers waltz in two circles around us. "Lady Isabella, correct me if I am wrong, but, I seem to recall you wearing a white ball gown earlier. What happened?"

"Ah yes, unfortunately but quite fortunately a glass of white wine was thrown onto my back."

"By whom?"

"One of the contestants. It matters not whom it was."

"But it does, Lady Isabella. I ask you to please tell me."

"If you insist, Your Majesty."

"Please, the phrase Your Majesty is not needed all the time. And I do insist."

"Very well, King Edward, the Lady Florence Abruzzo accidently spilled wine on my back."

"I see, are you alright?"

"Very much so, I thank you for asking."

We stop talking again and I allow a small smile to settle on my face. Every so often I look at her face and see a small smile resting on her lips. When the dance is over I bow to Lady Isabella. She curtsies to me and then walks off of the dance floor. I walk off the dance floor and towards the dining area. Piles of food are still lying on the table. On another table empty bottles and kegs of wine are sitting on the table. A pair of servants bring out another keg of wine and sit it on the table. I take a plate off of the table and fill it with a bit of food. I take a few tarts and then pass a pair of drunk nobles to get to the wine. I take a goblet of wine from the servant handing out wine. I walk over to a table and then sit down. I quickly eat the tarts I grabbed and then down the goblet of red wine that matches the color of Lady Isabella's ball gown. I place the goblet and plate in a large metal bucket at the end of the table. I begin to walk back to my throne, stopping to say hello and complimenting nobles. When I reach my throne, I stand in front of it. I signal to the orchestra to bang the gong. The music stops, the gong is rung, and the conversations stop. Everyone stops what they're doing and turns to face me. "I thank you all for coming to the masquerade split ball this evening. As I am sure that many of you have heard rumors that some contestants will be sent home. I must put your minds at ease and assure you that the rumor is not true. Also, there will not be a group breakfast served tomorrow. If you wish to have breakfast tomorrow please inform the chefs before you go to retire this evening. I do hope that you have had a wonderful evening, and again, I thank you for coming to the split ball."

The crowd begins to dissipate from the ballroom back to their rooms. I say goodbye to the last few people as they leave. Then, when everyone has left to return to their rooms, I walk over to the dining area and look at all of the leftover food. Footsteps sound across the ballroom. "Your Majesty, what would you like us to do with the extra food?"

"Divide it up and donate it to the poor."

I look behind me to see who has spoken to me.

"Oh, Lady Isabella, what are you still doing here?"

"You didn't leave after the rest of the crowds did."

"I see, I just need to speak with the servants."

"Of course. Good night."

"Good night, Lady Isabella."

I watch as she walks across the ballroom and exits quietly. A few servants walk into the ballroom and begin to clean. "Take the extra food to the icebox and then deposit it to the poor tomorrow."

"Yes Your Majesty."

The servants begin to pick up the food and take it out of the ballroom. Another group of servants walk into the ballroom and begin to wipe off the tables and chairs. I walk out of the dining room and through the halls, back to my chambers. 

A/N: Happy Fourth of July is you choose to celebrate. THE HAMILTON MOVIE IS OUT! Have you seen it yet? The Damned by Renee Ahdieh comes out in a few days!!! Thank you votes for helping TSQ become more noticeable on WATTPAD. Love, M