Chapter 15

- Chapter 15 -

Isabella Victoria

I scan the crowd that was behind me, looking for someone who could have been looking at me. "Excuse me?"

I turn around and see a young page. "Yes?"

"Are you the Lady Isabella Parr?"

"I am."

"I have a message from Lady Jane Stewart; she says that she is leaving for the orphanage after lunch. I decided to come far earlier than I anticipated. If you wish to accompany her, her carriage is going to be at the main entrance at one to bring her to the orphanage."

"Thank you. You may inform Lady Steward that I will be coming with her."

The page gives a short bow and disappears into the crowd. An extravently dressed woman waltzes up to me. "Doll, I noticed your ring from across the room."

"Pardon?"

"Oh darling, forgive me, I've been rude, my name is Duchess Patience Knighton."

"Pleasure to meet you."

"As I was saying. I saw your ring from across the room and I just love it. Tell me who made it for you?"

"In truth I do not know. It was my mother's ring."

"Oh."

"If you would like I could write to my father and ask him."

"That would be lovely, doll. Let me know as soon as you have learned the maker."

"Of course."

She waltzes away from me, in the direction of the king. I lower my eyes to the floor and stay where I am for a few minutes. The conversations of the court and competitors wash over me. I try to block out the noise, but fail. "Henry Lawson sold me some information this morning."

"Tell me."

"Darling, there is a price."

"As there always is with you Kitty. Don't worry, I have some new gossip."

"Good. Lawson told me that last week he saw the king walking with one of the contestants."

"He only walks into the Mother's Garden alone. Alright, I was talking to Lord Albert Sayer a few days ago when the King and Lord John Gifford walked past."

"How is this relevant?"

"John said that his cousin's birthday was in a few days. His cousin's birthday is today."

"How is this important Angelica?"

"His cousin is one of the contestants."

"She's going to cheat!"

"She wouldn't dare."

"I believe she will."

"Not if I can help it Kitty."

"Oh Angelica, Gifford will never be seduced by you."

"He hasn't seen my charm."

The women laugh and cease speaking. "If it pleases out most esteemed guests, lunch is served in the dining hall."

The crowd of people slowly begins to walk out of the throne room and down the hall towards the dining hall. A few minutes later we enter the dining hall. All of the name cards are already set up. We find our seats and the servants bring out the first course and goblets of wine.

<><><>

When the meal ends I rush to my room and begin looking through the scrap bag and my knitting basket.