Chapter 34

King Edward

I finish the letter I am writing and sign my name with a flourish. I take the blotting paper and dry the ink on the letter. I set the blotting paper to the side, fold the letter, and light the candle next to me.  A few minutes pass before melted wax is running down the sides of the candle. I lift the candle and tilt it so the wax lands on the back of the letter. I press my seal into the wax as a soft knock sounds at my study door.

"Enter."

A small servant girl walks into my study. She curtsies, trembling.

"Your- Your Majesty, I have a message from Captain London."

"Continue."

"Th-the Princesa L-lucia and th-the Lady Isabella were attacked in the for-forest. He-he requests y-your presence i-in the for-forest."

A sense of calm washes over and fills me, "Thank you. You are dismissed."

The servant girl rushes out of my study, I strap my sword to my belt and button my coat. I place my tophat on my head and rush out of my study, shutting the door behind me. I rush through the halls, trying to get to the stables as quickly as possible.

<><><>

When I reach the stables it is mostly empty. Two horses wait next to the fence of the stable, snorting and pounding the earth with their hooves. The stable boy brings out my saddled horse. I throw my leg over the horse and sit upon its back. The boy hands me the reins, and I take them from him. I nudge my heels into the horse's flank and steer it towards the forest. Thoughts of what could have happened fill my head as my horse canters through the forest along the path.

<><><>

I stop my horse as I see the Princesa running down the pathway. I climb off of my horse and meet the Princesa halfway.

"Princesa, are you alright?"

"I am fine, but I do not think Isabella is. She said that she was fine other than the cut on her face but I do not believe her."

Specks of red begin to gather around the edges of my vision.

"Edward, come. I will take you to her."

I send the horse back to the stables and walk behind the Princesa as she quickly walks ahead of me.

<><><>

When we reach the scene, I see Captain London standing in the middle of everything. I walk over to him, "What happened, London?"

"This man attacked Lady Isabella. We found instructions in his coat pocket to attack the Dauphine Isabel Castile. He must have mistaken Lady Isabella for her. From what we can tell the only injuries are the cut from a knife of Lady Isabella's face."

"Thank you."

I look over at Isabella who stands away from everyone else. Isabella begins to walk back down the pathway she came from. In the direction of the palace with a strong gait. A few hundred yards away from where she began walking I shout out to her. "Isabella, wait!"

She stops walking and turns to face me, blood freely runs down the left side of her face. "Isabella please let someone call for a horse or carriage for you."

"My legs are not broken, I can walk back to the palace."

"Are you sure? Lucia said that your horse threw you."

"I am fine, Your Majesty."

"Isabella please."

"I am able to walk. It will not kill me."