Chapter 12

Stay safe.

-Chapter 12 -

King Edward

I look down the table and see Lady Isabella speaking with Lady Jane Stewart. I smile to myself, everything is going as planned, and continue eating my eggs and sausage. I turn to face the Princesa Lucia de Leon. "Princesa, what do you think of all of the candidates?"

"To be quite honest and frank, I do not think that there are not many good ones."

"I think I am going to send home three today."

"Smart of you Majesty. Rooting out the disease before it reaches you."

"Since you have decided to put it so bluntly, yes, you are correct with your analogy."

"You flatter me Edward. So, you walked into breakfast with the Lady Isabella Parr..."

"And, Lucia?"

"What people must be thinking of you and the poor lady."

"She was lost in the hall, Highness."

"That better be all, Edward. You know fully well that the truth may be twisted against you."

"It is the whole truth, and I know."

"Good. Your job is to find a new queen, not a harem."

"Something your father has told you?"

"Yes, but it sounded much different. I believe it went something along the lines of 'You will find a husband! I will not have my eldest daughter, and possible heir to my throne, running around in some harem. Or God forbid running a harem!'"

"Always so blunt, I see where you get it from."

She laughs and begins to eat the last of her food. I stand up and clink my fork against my goblet. Everyone slowly turns to face me, excitement filling their faces. "As everyone knows, this is a competition of sorts. That means, on this beautiful, crisp, morning, I must send three of you noble women, who have come for my heart or crown, back home to your families. Lady Caralina de Mortos, I thank you for coming all this way to my home, but I am afraid I must send you home. We give you our permission to withdraw."

She stands up, shakily curtsies and quickly leaves the room. A look of worry now fills many noble women's faces.

"Lady Gabriella Acciaio, you have our permission to withdraw."

"Forgive me, but why Your Most Royal Majesty?"

"This is not a matter to publicly speak of. You have our permission to withdraw."

"Ah! No Maestà più reale. Dimmi adesso!"

Out of the corners of my eyes I see two palace guards inch towards her. I place two fingers on my hip and the guards stop moving. I move my fingers from my hip to rest at my side. "Lady Gabriella Acciaio, I will give you one last invitation to withdraw. I ask you to greatly consider and take the invitation, it will cause far less humiliation for you."

"Ah, ma la maggior parte Vostra maestà regale, ancora non hanno mi ha detto quello che ho fatto di sbagliato."

"Very well Lady Acciaio."

I give a short nod. The two guards take her arms and escort her out of the dining area. I look down at the table and wait a few minutes before speaking again. "Lady Agawa Koroti, you have our permission to withdraw."

She stands up from her chair, gives a small curtsy, and leaves the dining hall. I sit down, the hall has fallen into near silence. I continue eating for a moment, then everyone begins quietly speaking and eating again. I watch the meal for a few minutes, studying the competitors and learning how they treat people at court. Then, I push my chair back and leave the dining hall. I start to walk back to my chambers. Thoughts of the three letters I need to write to the fathers of the ladies filling my mind. "Edward!"