Chapter 11: Trusting

I woke up on the next challenge day, not doing much but read one of the books I had and drink some Starbucks' coffee I had brought with me. Glory in the highest to that! There is barely anything drinkable here besides the water Chef provides for us during meal times.

Once it was challenge time, I had walked to the docks and stood by Leshawna.

"So, last week's challenge exposed a few Gopher issues." Chris said and I glared at Heather. "And I'm sensing a little something in the Bass pond, too. So, this week's challenge is gonna be centered around building trust. Because, all good things begin with a little trust."

"There will be three major challenges that will have to be completed by two or more members of your team. Normally, we'd like to have the campers choose their partners, but not this time. More fun for me!" Chris said.

"Okay, so for the first challenge, you'll be doing an extreme free-hand, rock climbing adventure." Chris said. "DJ and Duncan will play for the Bass, Heather and Gwen for the Gopher's." Gwen groaned. Chris handed them their tools.

"What's your damage?" Gwen said as Heather took them out of her hand rather forcefully.

"If I'm letting you hold me up, you're nuts." Heather said.

"You won't be holding her up, exactly." Chris said. He explained what they had to do. Heather and Gwen gave each other death glares as he spoke.

"Excuse me, can we trade partners? I really don't feel like being dropped on my head today." Gwen said.

"Puh-lease, as I much as I love your company, I'm not going to throw a challenge to kill you. Yet." Heather said. "Now spread 'em."

They pulled the harness on her and along with the rope.

"What's the second rope for?" Gwen asked suspiciously.

"It's a back-up line," Heather said. Don't trust her, Gwen, is what I would've said. I didn't buy it for a second. She's up to something.

/"I can already see where this is going."//

"What are you smiling about?" She asked.

"Nothing. I'm just really happy we got on this challenge together." Heather said. I scrunched up my nose. Uh-huh, sure. They both started to climb up the mountain as Heather held her up. A bomb was thrown at Gwen and she started to fall.

"Don't worry, I got you!" Heather yelled. Chris shot hot sauce from a water gun at Heather which caused her to let go of the ropes as she rubbed her eyes. Gwen fell to the ground. Gwen started climbing up the cliff again. I was biting on my fingernails praying she wouldn't lose the challenge.

"Come on, Gwen! You don't want to fall behind!" Heather said as she pulled on the rope which caused her bottom skirt to rip exposing her underwear. I saw that DJ was falling as well and Duncan got caught into the rope which sent him the same height as DJ, into the air. Gwen continued to climb and she reached the top. Yes, we won the first round! Now, we just have. . . how many more left to go.

It was up to the second challenge and it was Trent and Lindsay, with Bridgette and Geoff from the Bass team. I saw an intern doing a flip into the air behind the pedestal and Chris stood up, grinning. What the heck? What was that about?

/"Did he just? I'm so confused."//

"And now round two: the extreme cooking challenge!" Chris shouted. Dude, I could totally see the intern crawling away! "Each team must choose who cooks, and who eats."

They had to make some type of sushi-blowfish thing I had no clue about. Bridgette made some delicious looking sushi. Lindsay? She ended up screwing it up big time. It looked like blood and intestines on a plate. Geoff ate his first and he turned out okay. When Trent did so, he passed out and was throwing up, twitching in the process. That looks bad. We lost the second challenge. We went into the woods for the third round. I hope we freaking win it this time. I'm tired of losing.

"Good news, the third round involves three more challenges. It's the three blind challenges." Chris said. He explained all we had to do. I just groaned. So. Much. Work.

DJ had to get an arrow through an apple, or the other way around. Whatever works. Chris slingshots the apple and it hit right in DJ's pancreas. Ooh, that had to hurt.

"Ah, nuts! Leshawna and Owen, you'll be one team. Courtney and Sadie, you'll be the other." Chris said. Leshawna kept hitting Owen in the face. At least she was close. Sadie was getting no where near Courtney's arrow. The apple shot right through the arrow and knocked it off.

"Yes!" I shouted happy we were getting somewhere finally.

"Ooh, did I get a bulls eye?" Leshawna asked.

"I got it this time!" Sadie said and kept hitting things no where near the arrow. Ugh. Chris ran up to her and started shouting.

"Sadie, it's over man, let it go!" He yelled.

"Oopsie, sorry." Sadie said. I just rolled my eyes. We all walked towards the pond in a narrow part where the was something you would see in a circus.

"And now, the blind trapeze. To avoid serious injury, the trapeze has been set out over this pond." Chris said. "Which is full of jellyfish. You two will stand blindfolded on the platform till your partners tell you when to jump."

"And then?" Heather asked.

"Then, hopefully they'll catch you or that's gonna be one heck of a painful swim." Chris laughed. "Okay, hut! Hut!"

Harold was already on the swing thing holding on with his knees. I don't feel so sure about Heather and Lindsay. Bridgette made it safely with Harold after she stopped hesitating. Lindsay did the timing wrong and Heather jumped right in when she said "not yet."

/"Wow, Heather actually TRUSTS Lindsay. Who knew, right?"/

She fell right in the pond full of jellyfishes and got heck of a nasty sting. Everywhere. Today was not a good day to wear shorts, dude. But it was so worth watching.

"One point for the Killer Bass," Chris said. I kinda just smirked at Heather's pain. Oh, this is beautiful. Once Heather was out and walking to the infirmary, we started the next challenge.

"And now the final leg. The blind toboggan race." Chris said.

"The say what?" Leshawna said.

"Each team will have a driver, and a navigator. The driver steers while the navigator shouts directions. Oh yeah, and the driver will be blindfolded!" Chris said. Excuse me? "Not many of you left. We keep losing you guys. Oh well, Gwen, Erin, and Leshawna. And Geoff and DJ. Oh, and you'll have two navigators and a driver for the Gopher's, so yeah. I wish you not so good luck. Haha."

Leshawna placed the blindfold on and Gwen and I were behind her, me sitting in between. I saw Geoff being the navigator for the other team while DJ was driving.

"On your marks, get set --" he blew the air horn as were being pushed down the hill. We were going down fast.

"Right!" Gwen shouted as we almost hit the tree next to us.

"Your other right!" I said even louder. We suddenly hit a slope and we were in the air.

"Girls, we are flying now!" Leshawna said. We then landed into the water and I sighed in relief once we hit the ground.

"Wait, is that a waterfall?!" I yelled and clung onto Leshawna. I yelled as we fell, but we hit something and we were flying again. We made it back on ground but we were still sliding.

"Right!" I shouted.

"Left!" Gwen said.

"Left!" Gwen and I shouted. Then, an explosive went right on DJ and Geoff and they landed right on the finish line as we came a second later. The Bass won, again! Dang it! They were all cheering. I just snickered.

We got off the sled and stood up. The entire team was back, and Trent was in a wheelchair acting weirdly. Poor guy.

"And the Bass are the winners with the toboggan race!" Chris said. They all cheered. I face palmed. I hate losing. "Unfortunately, I said these were blind challenges. By taking off the blindfold for a moment, you broke the number one rule. Which makes the Gopher's today's big winners!"

"Finally," I sighed in relief. We didn't win a prize, but it was better than losing another team member. I was just glad to finally win for a change.