Chapter 5

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

The pattern of rain pounding against the roof is what rouses me from my sleep. My bleary eyes flutter open as my eyes immediately capture the sight outside of the window. Grey cloudy skies with streaks of thunder erupting between them as rain cascades down from them. The entire sight makes me want to smile as I snuggle up deeper into the bed, the plush pillow practically melting underneath the pressure of my head. Unable to help myself, I sigh in content as I let my eyes close once more, listening to the calming sound of rain all around me, lulling me back into a peaceful sleep.

The moment seems to be ripped from me in the blink of an eye as this time my alarm blares at an irritatingly loud volume while my body faces torment from being whacked repeatedly by a pillow. My eyes peel open as my head shelters itself behind my arms, seeking protection as the pillow starts beating against my face. "What?" I groan out in a raspy voice as the hitting stops and I hear a soft thud of the pillow being dropped on the floor.

"Wake up or we'll be late." Eva's enthusiastic voice disrupts the peaceful quiet. Lowering my arms from my head, my eyes catch sight of a wide awake Eva who's already dressed and ready for the day ahead of her. A low whine escapes my lips as my body wants nothing better to do than to fall asleep for the third time this day but a responsible part of my brain nags at me continuously to get up and not loiter about since I can't afford to let this opportunity to slip past me.

"Okay," I finally mutter, clearing my throat as my voice comes out husky due to the sleep I was just rudely awoken from. Sitting up, my hands rub at my eyes before I blink multiple times from the exhaustion that's hit me like a freight train. Stretching my arms up above me, I ignore Eva's look of bemusement as she waits somewhat patiently for me to start getting ready.

"Go," I shoo her away with my eyes still half closed, "I'll be down in a minute for breakfast." That seems to be enough for Eva as she stands up and gives me a nod before hurrying downstairs, probably getting a start on breakfast.

As I trudge into the bathroom, my mind wanders back to last night and the man that I could potentially be meeting today. Thankfully Eva and I always stay at her parents house after an event like that since it usually ends very late and her parents don't like the thought of either of us going home that late at night. I as always end up crashing in my old room since when I used to live here back during high school, Mr. And Mrs. Rodriguez practically raising me as their own till I moved out after high school. I really need to pay them back for their hospitality one way or another.

After taking a shower and getting dressed in record time, I head back into my old bedroom and smile at the unchanged room. The lilac walls and soft crème furnishings used to be my safe haven back then and I still feel a sense of attachment to it as I make sure the old wooden dresser which I got my clothes out from is closed properly. After I make the bed and make sure everything is back in it's rightful place, I make my way downstairs and into the kitchen, smiling brightly at the family of three who argue amongst themselves in Spanish.

"Good morning." I chime happily as Mr. Rodriguez gives me an equally bright smile while his wife Flora frets about as soon as she sees me, making me sit at the kitchen island while she serves me a full plate of breakfast consisting of nearly everything. Not one to let an opportunity of eating food to go to waste, I dig in and soon get immersed in the family bickering, only picking up a few words here and there as they smoothly glide from one language into the other all while I nod along, pretending I understand everything.

Not too long later, Eva and I are sitting in the car after numerous threats from Flora who I could only simmer down after promises of visiting more frequently. With that done and sorted, the both of us were speeding down the highway and over to where Greg's grandmother's house is. Nerves hit me all at once as they always do whenever I have a first day at a new job. Even after countless words by Eva who still tells me that Marjorie is a sweetheart once you get to know her, I am weary since Eva also told me she can be lethal with her words if she doesn't like you.