Chapter 17

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

Instead of the question being thrown at me, I'm met with insufferable silence as the man in front of me continues to merely stare. It's almost as if the question is on the tip of his tongue but he's unable to form the words let alone voice it out. A few seconds pass by as my gaze darts from him to the empty room around me.

It's almost as if I'm only now realising how truly alone the both of us are in this room. We're always surrounded by people except when he's driving me to the office and back home but that doesn't really count.

Well to me that is.

The wild chatter of the dinner going on downstairs is subdued to quite an extent right now, the closed door muting what's happening beyond it while also increasing the silence tenfold within the room.

"You wanted to ask me something?" The word leaves my mouth just as Gregory takes a step towards me, my butt being pressed into the desk that I was casually strewn upon a few moments ago. I try to cross my legs in an act of casualness but that doesn't stop my body from tensing up as his head tilts to the side, that same questioning gleam shining in his baby blue eyes as he takes another step forwards.

"I was going to ask." That's all he says. Nothing more, nothing less while I wait with bated breath. One part of me confused with what he wants to ask while the other part of me doesn't even want to hear it.

The other part of me definitely wants to talk less and conspire more. The type of conspiring that he most definitely won't appreciate. I curse myself to the farthest pits of hell as my mouth opens of its own accord, trying desperately to not end up where I know want to so desperately end up.

"Chrissie told me a few things."

The word hangs in the air and for a moment I believe he hasn't heard them but Greg's eyes cloud over in confusion before he shakes his head and takes a step backward. The once serious expression on his face changing to that of stupor but that too changes as the all familiar smile tugs at his lips. Eyes shining with either mirth or excitement.

"What things did she tell you? What did she tell you about?" He questions intrigued as a quiet, unnoticeable sigh escapes my lips. Its a good thing I didn't let my thoughts run wild during that lapse of silence because I severely misread the entire ordeal which lead to the silence. I would've ran out here red faced and never returning to my place of internship or work till the man in particular promised to never grace my sights again.

"Just a few things about how she may or may not be interested about in you. Nothing interesting." I tease as I force myself to relax and forget about the stupid thoughts plaguing my mind. Gregory seems to take the bait instantly as his eyes flash and his grin widens.

"Are you baiting me Ada Johnson?" He questions while I grin too.

"Not at all."

"If you think I won't beg, you are severely mistaken. My dignity is next to non existent." I find myself laughing at his words as I hoist myself up onto the desk while he throws himself on the chair in front of me. The eager expression on his face as clear as day.

"Go on then." The man nudges me with his words, seeming quite intrigued about the topic going on.

"Chrissie told me a few things but I'm not sure how to work through them." Pausing for a minute, I continue on with a nod from Greg. "She told me that she isn't too particular on saying no to you but she's after the chase more than anything else." I admit with bated breath, anticipating his reaction since not a single part of me knows how he'll react.

He could either take it on the chin or completely lose his mind over it.

"That's...," Gregory pauses as he mulls over his words, the picture of serenity as he sits their staring up at me, "- not surprising in the slightest." He finally finishes as I now look at him in surprise.