Chapter 28

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

My mouth turns parched as the little saliva I have goes dry at the mere words. Those words never meaning anything good especially from what I've heard regarding other people's experiences. Does this mean whatever we have going on is going to end?

I mean is there anything going on for it to end?

I run my tongue along the seam of my lips, wanting them to get wet so that at least one part of my mouth isn't bone dry. A terrible case of cotton mouth occurring as my tongue feels a bit heavier than usual and unable to formulate the words I need to speak. It takes a lot of effort in pushing my lips to form the words I so desperately need them to say.

"W-what do you want to discuss?" A flurry of thoughts run through my brain and one part of me hopes he wants to open up about the occurrence regarding the chain of events that led to me sitting literally on the edge of his seat as I wait for him to spill whatever it is that he needs to tell me.

A sigh parts Gregory's lips and I can tell the entire situation weighs down on him heavily as he tries to grasp onto his stray thoughts. His once happy eyes dim further as the light blue slightly darken with the raging emotions I'm sure are storming his mind, beating down on him.

"I just, I think I need to tell someone before I literally lose my fucking mind." The words escape passed gritted teeth while my own eyebrows raise, the sound of his gruff swearing taking me by surprise since it's such a complete one eighty from his usual light hearted demeanour.

Did I really expect anything else from his frenzied state right now?

He doesn't continue as he runs his hands through his hair, tussling them up every which way as a chocked sound leaves him. A mix between a growl and a sound of defeat. Instead of deciding to comfort him with my words which I doubt will do much, I grab onto his clenched fist laying on his lap. Squeezing his fist tightly till it relaxes in my own grip, I bring both of our hands int my own lap while bringing my other so both of them incase one of his.

Greg's eyes meet mine as a timid smile escapes his lips, sincerity shining within them as he finally speaks up. The words flowing easily now without pause.

"It's been playing on my mind continuously and I really can't keep it bottled up. I have my entire life and it's just, I want to tell you I guess. Something is telling me to tell you." This time his tone is full of anguish and I'm sure it's because he's battling between whether or not to actually tell me or keep it all inside till it accumulates and lashes out in the worst way possible.

Not wanting to force him, I say what I think is right and hopes it puts him at ease so that he can decide for himself what he really wants, "Greg. I'm not going to force you to tell me. Take your time. Just know I'm here for you if need be."

I pause momentarily and think if I should speak more but also not wanting him to get spooked in the process just in case I over do it with all of my speaking.

"I'm sure you saw who came to my office," it's not a question but a statement. A statement that resounds throughout the entire room as Greg finally makes his decision to tell me what's hanging over his dark like a dark stormy cloud full of rain and despair.

"You came in just as she left so it makes sense. If you didn't then it's fine but there was a woman in my office. She was um," he pauses as he clears his throat before continuing, "- is my mother. I hadn't seen her in years but I should have expected that it was time for one of her visits. The thing is, I don't really keep in contact with my parents. We've never had a good relationship and it got worse as I grew up, realised everything that's been happening around me." My heart clenches at his words as my own hands tighten around his involuntarily, the deep pain interlacing with his speech causing me to frown deeply even though I hold myself back from prying into why it causes the man so much pain.