Chapter 6

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

The silence is almost suffocating as I sit in the passenger seat of Greg's car. The pitter patter of rain against the roof is all that makes noise as we both stay in silence as he peels out of the driveway and towards what I'm assuming is the direction of the supermarket.

A few minutes go by and before I know it, I'm drumming my fingers against the car seat, trying to focus on doing something else other than stare at the gorgeous man besides me. Glancing from the corner of my eyes, I watch how he furrows his eyebrows as he focuses on the road but in deep thought himself.

Deciding that if I hear anymore of this silence, I will strangle myself one way or another, I speak up, "Thanks for giving me a lift."

This seems to shake the man thought out of his thoughts as his eyes dart to me before re focusing on the road, an easygoing smile tugging at his lips, "Yeah no problem. I know it's a little far to walk and I don't mind doing a little extra shopping for myself." He simply replies.

I wait for the awkward silence to settle in once more as I already am running out of friendly conversation starters and I definitely do not want to make myself seem foolish by grasping at straws such as small talk. I can already imagine Greg's amused face as he tries to answer my rather vague question about the weather. However, luck seems to be in my favour as Greg flickers his eyes towards me once more, that smile still on his face.

"So, how are you finding Marjorie and the job so far?"

I open my mouth before immediately closing it, wondering how on earth I answer such a question without offending him even though Marjorie has been a complete sweetheart to me up till now.

"Don't worry about me getting offended or anything," Greg interrupts with a soft chuckle as if he's reading my mind, "I know how old people can get sometimes. Don't tell Marjorie I said that." He adds quickly at the end, almost worried that I'd rat him out to his own grandmother.

I let out a laugh as I shake my head, "Marjorie's been really nice. I know I've met her for only a couple of hours but she's been nice to me so far. Trust me, she'll be angel compared to my other bosses even if she gives me hell." I muse as I shrug.

Greg nods his head at me, pondering over my words, "And what about what the job entails."

"Oh," I remember, "It's good. Nothing too strenuous. I can handle it. I'm just going to have to find a new grocery store if Marjorie doesn't mind. It seems too far to walk." I say further, noting it'll take me quite a while to trek this far. I'm sure she has a nice little grocery store not too far from where she lives. I'll just have to ask Marjorie if that's okay with her.

"You don't have a car?" Greg asks as I shake my head, that's one of the luxuries I find myself desperately wishing I had.

It's only a minute later that I find myself and Greg parked outside of a convenient supermarket as he parks the car in the parking lot. Before I move to get out, Greg speaks up, "Marjorie has a car of her own. If you know how to drive I'm sure she'll be more than happy to let you take the car out to get the groceries. Of course I'm always here to help." He says as the cars purring comes to a halt.

"I'm not a damsel in distress," I joke with a smile, "I'm sure I can manage somehow."

Greg juts out his bottom lip just a touch as he somewhat pouts at me, "I wouldn't mind being your prince in shining armour." My face starts to go that familiar shade of red as I try my best to not focus on his words or that jutting lip which my eyes keep darting towards.

Letting out a strained laugh, I lean back a little as I undo my seatbelt while Greg grins, probably noticing how flustered I'm getting in his presence. "Well that sorts it now doesn't it. I'll be picking you up every Friday for the grocery's from next week."