Chapter 26

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

My lips are pulled down into a continuous frown as I rub at the man's back who is currently clinging onto me like his life depended on it. Gregory's face burrowed into the crook of my neck has my heart nearly breaking in two as his once loud and disconcerting sobs now slowing down till the only signs visible of his once crying fest is the subtle shaking of his body now relaxing as the tremors fade.

My hand raises to pat and curl my fingers through his thick mass of blond hair as I press a chaste kiss to his forehead, not wanting to disrupt the silence of his grieving by speaking up and making him withdraw deeper into his shell.

As selfish as it might seem, I want the man to tell me what's wrong so that we can establish that deeper connection instead of him just brushing this entire situation aside and pretending like nothing ever happened.

I know a part of me would definitely break and lose all hope if that happened.

I should be more understanding and realise that it'll take time if anything like that even happens, however, I don't know if I'll be able to do that or not.

The tugging sensation from my hands alerts me to the fact that Gregory wants to raise his head from the crook of my neck. Gently letting go, I watch with wary eyes as he finally sits up but with his head lowered. Not allowing me to see anything other his hair a complete mess from my own wandering hands.

"Are you okay?" My voice is hesitant and comes out in a barely audible whisper, the only
reason the sound even being heard is due to the fact the entire office is silent.

Greg takes in a shuddering breath before finally looking at me. My heart constricting painfully in my chest once more at the sight of his slightly puffy face, tears staining his flushed yet somehow still pale skin as his watered down bleary baby blue eyes peer into mine.

"Y-yeah." The man has to clear his throat to speak up properly, fighting the tightening of his throat.

The both of us fall into silence, me not daring to say anything while Gregory seems to be getting his bearings together. The feeling of awkwardness starts to slowly curl up within me, not because of the situation I'm in right now but more likely due to the way Greg is going to clam up and shut me out leaving me to just sit there feeling embarrassed at my mind making up scenarios which we all know just isn't going to happen.

"Ada?" I get snapped out of my thoughts as Gregory's voice reaches me.

"Yes?" I speak up with that same hesitance in my voice, almost as if I'm bracing myself for what he's going to say; telling me to give him space so that he can get himself together and then us skirting around the subject awkwardly for the rest of our lives.

I'm not even sure if I'm exaggerating or not.

My question goes unanswered verbally as instead of answering me, he grabs onto my folded hands and tugs them towards his body. Before I know it, we're switching roles and this time I'm being the shielded one as he makes me curl into him, his own head resting on top of mine. Greg doesn't appreciate the closeness of our hug initiated by him as he instead pulls me onto his lap till I'm fully curled up on his thighs. Leaning back, I go with him as he presses himself fully onto the rather comfortable office couch. I try my best not to squirm in any way which would provoke a reaction that isn't appropriate now nor will lead to things that I can't promise I'll behave myself through.

The man doesn't seem to care as he pulls my legs till they're on the other side of the sofa, his hands reach towards my high heel clad feet which he makes swift work of as he pries the shoes off of me and puts them down besides him as he lets me get even more comfortable.