Chapter 11

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

The never ending grumbling doesn't come to a stop even after I slide the entrance door to my apartment complex, open. A sigh leaves my lips as I trudge on the worn out linoleum floors, I'd scrape my feet across the ground if I could but sadly that's a feat I haven't learned to master in heels.

All I want to do is take off heels to give some relief to my aching heels, strip out of my clothes and then curl up in front of the television with a mug of hot cocoa. The entire thought makes me pick up pace and surprisingly my grumbling stops short from the delight of relaxing.

Ever since Greg left for the meeting, his words and the conversation that took place after hasn't left my mind. I could feel my mood deteriorating ever since and I know it'll last for a while before I manage to pull myself out of it.

I really do become hopeless whenever I have a crush on someone.

I tried my best to get over it. I mean I'm still trying to get over the man. Surely setting him up with an outrageously gorgeous woman will put me back in my place.

If not that than what will?

Hiking my handbag further up my shoulders, I realise sooner or later I'll probably be carrying back a huge pile of folders from work due to being unable to finishing it in the office. It's either that or stay for extra hours and I'd rather bring work home and be comfortable doing my work than in a cold lifeless office.

The sound of my heels on the floor drowns out my soft sigh as I glance up just as I pass by a cheerful looking Eric who leans against the wall and passes me a vibrant smile. I smile back at him wearily and shuffle further ahead hoping he doesn't stop me. I do not want to be 'lending' him more money for some brilliant new escapade that he's conjured up. Just as I deem myself safe enough I hear a chirpy voice speak up behind me.

"Hey there Ada!"

I bite my tongue, stopping the groan from coming out as I whirl on my heel and gaze up into cheerful brown eyes. The man, admittedly, was good looking. His brown eyes went gorgeously with his brown hair styled up into a quiff. Erik's face had an almost boyish charm to it what with his baby face.

"Hi." I answer back with much less enthusiasm, praying he doesn't ask me for more money.

"I just wanted to thank you for helping me out. You've helped me out quite a bit and I guarantee I'll pay you back each and every penny." He assures as Erik gives me an even brighter smile, teeth practically glistening.

"You're welcome Erik." Is all I manage to say as I give him an awkward thumbs up and then point to the elevator that I hope has been fixed by now, "I've got to get going, dinner isn't going to make itself." I say with a soft laugh, pretending like my fine course meal of instant ramen noodles will take longer then a few minutes. Turning back around, I press the button but don't have enough patience to wait for a few seconds as I repeatedly press the lighted button again and again.

Maybe this is why it keeps breaking down.

Nah.

Couldn't be.

"You do know it's not working right?" Erik speaks up from behind me as I nearly jump a foot in the air. My mind too pulled into having a conversation with myself that I forgot where I was or rather who I was with for a second.

Glancing over my shoulder, I notice Erik leaning casually against the wall as I shrug slightly, "Figures." I mumble as I instead walk towards the flight of stairs. It's nearly been a year since it last broke down and they fixed it so I don't know why I thought maintenance would grant us all a miracle and fix the damn thing for us. It'd save us the trouble from calling them every day and it'd save them the trouble from having to come and tap on the metal for a second or two and then say it's not working and that they'll be back again soon to fix it.