Nine

Having a parent walk in without knocking is still something I can't seem to get used to. Not once has Reyes-ka-chan knocked before opening the door. It seems to be the norm for an American family I slowly realized.

Arriving at the school, I prepared to hear people gossiping or spreading rumors about 'Carla'. Zen-chan told me not to worry about them because he was used to them but it still hurts to see it happening. This is nothing like Retsu-chan's group back home.

I passed by everyone and greeted them with my usual smile and nice words on my way to the band hall. I want to practice a little more on the flute I was assigned. People would often stop me to talk for a few minutes until I excused myself politely and was only a few steps away from the doors for the second band hall when I saw Daisy in front of the office door with Christopher and another guy and girl with him, Shane and Cindy. And she was livid.

"You know full well she is nothing like that! Why would you further add fuel to the fucking fire!?"

"Daisy, calm down--!"

"Shut up, Cindy! You've spoken to her before, haven't you? You should know she is not a worthless piece of garbage that can't do anything for herself!"

"Look, we don't want to continue arguing about this. We were only talking about how she isn't a very good player, not that she can't do anything," Chris said rather angrily. For some reason, I had stopped in my tracks and was listening to everything they were saying. Nobody seems to notice me.

"She is a good player," Daisy clenched her fist. "She's a really good flute player."

"You of all people should know--"

"I do know!" Daisy shook her head. "Carla doesn't play the same as she used to in middle school after losing the last bit of confidence that she had." Daisy stormed past the trio and entered the first band hall. Neither of the people she was with chased after her. Instead, they continued talking, making me angry. I could not smile anymore. I have to make sure Daisy is alright.

I walked around the group with my head down and walked into the band hall as I had originally planned to do. It didn't take long to spot Daisy as she was seated on her chair putting together her flute. I took a deep breath and approached her. At first, she didn't notice me but after stopping in front of her, she lifted her head. I smiled.

"Good morning, Daisy-chan," I greeted. Daisy gave a half-smile.

"Good morning, Hide."

"So, um," I hesitated. I should tell her the truth about me listening in but that isn't very polite. "I saw you with Chris, Shane, and Cindy just now."

"Oh," Daisy's eyes widened. "I'm sorry you saw that."

"You are fine. I just wanted to know if you are okay?" Daisy shook her head with a smile.

"Don't worry, I'm okay. I was just upset they talk about Carla like that." I nodded.

"Yeah, I understand." I sat next to her while she spoke.

"It's just sad that once someone is gone, the others instead of respecting them talk shi- trash about them."

"It is sad," I agreed, "but it's the way of life."

"Are people like this, too, in Japan?" I grimaced.

"Well, not to this extent. Sure, not everyone is perfect, but..."

"Some are more rotten than others." I shrugged.

"I guess you could say that." Daisy nodded as she stared at the flute in her lap.