Chapter - 15 / part - 2

Chap-15 / Part-2

Shattered Dreams
'Soraya's 2nd survey' / 'Missing Someone'
By: Mike Hurley

A few days ago.......Amy was preparing a status update on Carrington; a Belgium warmblood. The owner lived in Vancouver & trailed Carrington a week ago for Amy to look at. At 6 years old, he had many ribbons & awards under his belt. Always confident and focused, he was usually the horse to beat at 3 day eventing. But recently, his regular vet, & a handful of specialists could not explain why he lost interest in his sport.

Recently, Carrington was happiest being in his stall with Timmy the goat; his little friend who never said much. For the last 3 months they just stood around together. Oddly, ever since Carrington lost focus on life, Timmy became much more vocal. The experts agreed, the key to solving the mystery with Carrington was with Timmy. 

The pair had traveled all the way to Heartland together, to see The Miracle Girl.

Carrington's lead trainer, Peter Maansfield complained that a facility the size of Heartland, hardly had much to offer. He suggested 'Four Hooves' near Toronto, or 'Rising Star' in Kentucky. Both facilities had world class staff, some with European experience.

Every day since their arrival, Mr Maansfield had e-mailed Amy requesting an update.
Basically he was a pest. Timmy enjoyed giving lectures all day on a plethora of topics; although his usual dissertation was on the sparing size of meals!!

Carrington didn't care about much, ate less, and seemed depressed. The owner didn't believe in medications for emotional issues.

Two days ago, Amy found the problem; Carrington wasn't sleeping much.

Amy finished her 2nd status update & hit send.
She was certain, within 5 minutes, Mr Maansfield would ring her cell, with his own dissertation on her ridiculous sleep diagnosis.

Instead, Soraya's name & photo displayed on Amy's cell......

Soraya!!  Hi!! I'm so glad you called, Timmy the goat is driving me nuts. He's more vocal than all those women on the morning talk shows!!

You do?? Another survey....... 'Do I miss Ty'??
Seriously?? Extra credit....... tell you what, can you meet me at Maggies in 30 minutes for lunch?? I need a goat break!!

Amy sent off a quick text; she knew there was a 50% chance his cell with in the drawer, with a dead battery; lack of use.

Grandpa!! I'm having lunch with Soraya at Maggies. Borrowed your truck..... hope you didn't need it. Back soon!!
Love you!!  Oh, if you go to the barn, wear ear plugs, Timmy is lecturing the world on some exciting new topic!! 😳
Amy

Hey!!!!!!!  Soraya!!! The two girls shared a hug, ordered lunch & jumped right into conversation......

So, just a few weeks & you'll be a doctor!! Soraya, I am so proud of you!! I don't know anyone who deserves it more; with the hours and seemingly years of studying you do!!

Thanks!! Soraya was a little embarrassed at Amy's platitudes; she was extremely humble and thankful of the support she'd received from her family & friends!!

So tell me, what's  the latest on my best friends journey through school. Soraya set her hand on Amy's & was suddenly serious.... I just realized, ......Ty is no longer your best friend!!
Does this mean I'm # 1 again??

Amy smiled, & said yes, although Soraya saw a sadness flow into Amy's eyes. Well, I'm happy & sad for you!! I know how hard it's been!! Does he call you, or anything.................. No.