xlvi

I stared at the city, sitting in my hammock. My mind was a whirlpool of thoughts. But my body language showed nothing was wrong. Everyone's, in the house, thoughts were everywhere. Ranging from wolof to commit murder to convicting someone of murder.

Having the power of telepathy comes with consequences that hurt physically. I feel everyone's emotions. I only have one body and to go through such a variety of emotions in one day, it's exhausting.

Coming out onto my balcony and having a smoke calms me down. But Five was here so, not really helping.

The cigarette between my lips was dangling loosely, almost falling out my mouth. Much like my sanity slowly slipping from my fingers.

"What's wrong?" I turned around and saw Five leaning against my balcony, much like a time before.

"Everyone thinks too much." I went back to focusing on the city and my cigarette. I felt the hammock dip and sure enough Five had sat right next to me.

"Mostly me, huh?" Five had slipped his hand into mine and gripped it tight.

"No, it's just yours are the most painful." I looked at him and gave him a somber smile. He smiled painfully at me.

"Come here." His voice was soft, like a brand new silk curtain. He opened his arms, inviting me into their warmth and security. I crawled into them, craving his touch. He leaned back until we were laying in the hammock together, Five slowly rocking us.

He grabbed the cigarette from my lips and threw it off my balcony. I sighed in defeat.

"Try focusing on my mind, okay?" I looked up at my boyfriend. His eyes seemed hopeful and his smile was small, but present.

"Okay." I closed my eyes and focused on Five's energy. He was remembering the date we had in a meadow with a picnic I had prepped. The memory had lulled me to sleep, along with Five rocking us in the hammock.

Before I completely fell asleep, Five had whispered a goodnight and kissed the crown of my head.