It's Raining Cats and Dogs- It's Not Fair

Chapter 2 summary: The Avengers come to the realization that it's not fair that only Bucky and Loki have pets, and demand their own. Will Tony have a breakdown? Will Steve actually let them get a pet? What the heck is going on between Loki and [Name]? All these questions and more will be answered in this. Well, maybe not that last one. 
_____________________________________________________________________________
It isn’t fair…

After three weeks of hard work, shopping and planning, the “pet lounge”, as Tony called it, was finished. You brought Roger- Bucky’s dog- and Frost- Loki’s cat- home where they immediately where thrilled to be there.  Tony had a good laugh about what Loki chose to name the cat, nicknaming him Frosty the Snowcat but Loki, Thor, Steve and Bucky all didn’t get the joke since none of them had seen the old show “Frosty the Snowman”.  However, that failed to stop Tony from continuing to use the name over and over again.
            The pet lounge actually turned out really nice. It had 8 bedrooms, Roger and Frost getting their own, a large open space for the animals to play and a grassy spot in an extra big room for the backyard since you couldn’t have one in the city. Roger and Frost had toys scattered everywhere, as well as lots of things to make them comfortable.  Tony even went as far as getting some chairs, couches and other furnishing objects as well as a TV for them, though you didn’t know why they would really need it.
            Currently, you were sitting on the couch, throwing a ball for Roger to chase. Roger was clumsy at first with only three legs but Tony felt bad for the dog and managed to make a metal prosthetic leg for Roger that matched Bucky’s metal arm. The prosthetic even had a red star on it, just like Bucky’s.

            “Stop it Thor,” Loki hissed at his brother.
Your eyes turned to the brothers who were sitting on the floor. Loki’s back was leaning on the couch you were sitting on, while Thor was kneeling as he reached to try to pet Frost, but Loki was holding his cat to his chest, covering him with his arms and body. 
            “Why can’t I pet him?” Thor complained.
            “Because he’s mine,” Loki told him, his eyes narrowed, still shielding the cat. “You can’t touch him. Go pet your own cat.”
            “But I don’t have an animal. It’s not fair that you have a pet and I do not,” Thor complained.
            “You know,” Clint spoke up, putting his phone down and looking at everyone, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “It isn’t fair. How come Bucky and Loki get an animal and we don’t?”
            The Avengers all looked at each other, nodding, agreeing that it wasn’t fair. Everyone, save for Tony, had grown fond of Roger and Frost. The cat wouldn’t let anyone come near him anyway except for Loki and for some odd reason, you, but everyone still enjoyed the animals.  With Bucky and Loki being so protective of the animals and having a companion, everyone felt kinda jealous and wanted a pet too.
            “You know what?” Tony snapped, already pissed off with everyone for the day because his new project didn’t work the way that he wanted. He had to let off some steam at someone and the option seemed to be at the Avengers. “Let’s all go get you stupid pets. Let’s go back to the shelter and the damn PetStore if you guys don’t want a dog or cat.”
            He started to storm towards the door, muttering under his breath that you could never count on stupid animals, and that technology was the only thing that you should count on. 
            Everyone’s eyes widened, surprised by Tony’s sudden outburst. Your eyes, as well as everyone else’s, turned to Steve, asking him if it was okay to leave  since Steve and Tony were like the parents that kept everyone in check. Tony was the wild dad that wanted to do fun things while Steve was like the mom that wanted things clean and orderly. Steve hesitated, but soon realized that it wasn’t fair and everyone was never going to let him off the hook until he agreed.  He shrugged and immediately those that wanted pets, Thor, Clint, Nat, and even Bruce, got up and rushed towards the elevator.

            Bucky and Steve looked at each other and then gave a ‘why not’ face then walked to the elevator. You were about to follow but you noticed Loki wasn’t coming, instead he playing with Frost on the ground. 
            “Aren’t you coming?” You asked.
            Loki looked up at you with surprise,  but it was quickly wiped from his face. “I already have a pet. I do not wish for another animal,” He stated.
            “You should still tag along,” You said, hopeful that he would change his mind. “It could be fun.”
            “Do you wish for me to come?” Loki asked bluntly making you blink your eyes in surprise, your cheeks heating up.
            “Of course I do,” You said then quickly covered that up. “I mean you’re my friend, why wouldn’t I want you to come?” Dangit [Name]! You cursed yourself. You just friend zoned him! You friend zoned him! IDIOT!
            Not that he would ever really care, y our doubtful self told you in your he ad . And it’s not like you could ever be more than friends.
            Even though it was true, it still hurt to hear that. Instead of focusing on your feelings,  you turned your attention back to Loki who had a light smirk on his face.
            He nodded his head softly, “Alright.  I will come, but  you have to do something for me first.” He said, a mischievous smile on his face.
            You looked at him warily. “Okay?” You said, not quite sure of yourself, but Loki took it.
            “If I come, you have to do a favor for me.”
            “What kind of favor?” You asked slowly, your  eyes narrowing in suspicion,  not trusting Loki. You may have a crush on him, but that didn’t mean you trusted him completely . He was, after all, the God of Mischief .
            Loki smirked then stood up, “I guess you will have to find out. Do you agree to the deal?”
            You hesitated, but finally  nodded, “Fine. But I can back out of it if you’re going to make me do something stupid or something I’m not comfortable with. Okay? ”
            “I agree to your terms.”
            “Good,” You smiled in relief. “We better hurry to catch up with everyone then.”
            “Indeed,” Loki said, a sly smile forming on his face.

            Before you walked into the store, Steve set some rules. “Alright, you can all get a pet but only one. If you want a dog or cat, we’ll go to the shelter after. Check with me and Tony first to see if it’s okay. Is everyone clear with that?” Everyone nodded and he let you all go.
            As everyone walked into the store, the ding of the bell rang but you could hardly hear it over the noises of all the animals. You blinked a few times, trying to get used to the noise. Looking around, you crinkled your nose at the smell but didn’t comment on it, and instead  scanned the shop.
            Once everyone was all inside and had glanced around, you all turned to Tony who was scowling at everything, his arms crossed. “Well?” He asked harshly, his voice taunt. “Go get your dumb ass animals.”
            You blinked again then turned to look around, everyone scattering to check out the store, you going towards the mice and hamsters. You smiled as you watched the white mouse run in a circle around the wheel, get on it and run for a little bit before getting off and repeating the whole thing over and over again. A small laugh left your lips from watching the mouse continue the silly action.
            “What is so humorous?” Loki asked, coming besides you.
            “Just this mouse,” You smiled, pointing to the energetic one who decided to just continue his cycle.
            Loki made a humming noise in response, but  never answering as he watched the mouse with you. Finally he spoke. “Are you going purchase a pet?”
            “Nah,” You answered, turning your gaze off the mouse and into his beautiful emerald green eyes.
            “Oh?” Loki asked, an eyebrow raised in question, asking you why not.
            Shrugging, you  responded, “I don’t know. I love animals, don’t get me wrong, but…” you sadly turned your gaze on the mouse. “I don’t want to get attached, then  have to say goodbye when they die. I-” Your voice broke. “I don’t like goodbyes.”
            A cold, yet comforting hand rested on your shoulder, making you slowly turn your head to see a sympathetic look on Loki’s face.
            You gave him a small smile then took a big sigh, the smile returning on your face as you changed the depressing thought to a happy one. “So how are you liking Frost?”
            Loki’s expression brightened. “I like him very much,” He smiled but slowly it disappeared, his eyes meeting yours. “I do have a question though.”
            “Shoot.”
            His smile returned, only this time it was a sly and cunning smile, making  you suddenly feel uneasy. “What was his name before? Before Frost, I mean. ”
            Your cheeks started to tint red but you tried to cover it up with a cough. “He-uh-didn’t have one.”
            “Really?” He asked, looking at you like he knew more than you thought he did, making your cheeks heat up more.
            “Ahuh,” You said, not being able to utter actual words, as  you were afraid you might stutter.
            “I’m offended that you don’t think I could see through your lie,” Loki said, not angrily, instead in an amusing tone, as he walked behind you.
            You closed your eyes when he stopped directly behind you. With all your heart you tried to wish away the nightmare, but  it just kept going.
            “Now,” he said, his voice slowly leaning in closer towards your ear. “Tell me the truth this time.”
            You swallowed from how close he was but stepped so that you could see his face. “He didn’t have a name when he came to the shelter,” You stated honestly, hoping you’d get out of this mess by telling a half truth.
            Loki gave a small laugh, making your stomach flip. “That I do believe,” Loki said, making  your body flush with relief, only  to have your heart stop and drop to your stomach at his next words. “But…I know you gave him a name after he came to the shelter.”
            He must have seen defeat on your face because he showed his teeth in a triumphant grin.
            “I don’t know why this really matters, Loki. I mean he already has a name now so why-”
            “[Name],” He interrupted, knowing that you were stalling as he crossed his arms and gave you a look, blinking his eyes slowly for you to actually tell him.
            “Why do you have to know?” You asked softly.
            “For one, I enjoy watching your squirm from discomfort,” Loki admitted, “But I was also told that he had a different name, one that he liked more than the one that I gave him until I told him my name, for  some odd reason.”
            You felt so embarrassed by what you were about to say, that you didn’t notice that Loki spoke as if the cat had talked to him.
            Squeezing your eyes tightly, your cheeks red and your voice hardly audible, you told him. “I named him Loki.”
            The God must not have known that part because his eyes widened and he took a slight step back, “You…you named him after me?”
            Nervously you shook your head then quickly explained, “I mean he just reminded me of you. He had a brother and they acted like you and Thor. Frost always tried to sneak out of his cage and he always seemed really smart so I named him Loki. He just reminded me of how you acted and he always seemed too smart for his own good. The other cat, his brother, I named Thor.”
            A small cocky smile started to creep up on his face so slowly that you didn’t notice as you continued ranting, but  when you mentioned that you named the other cat after Thor, his smile faltered, turning into an almost jealous frown. “You named the cat Thor?”
            “Uh...yeah,” You answered nervously, looking at the floor while shuffling your feet and wringing the bottom of your shirt with your hands.
            “Why?” He asked, his voice sounding upset.
            You were afraid he was going to yell at you but you still answered, trying not to let the tears fall as badly as they threatened to spill over. “I already told you,” You said quietly, blinking away the tears, then  followed with, “Look, I’m sorry if naming the cat after you offended you. I-”
            Loki placed his hands on your shoulders, making you jump from surprise. His voice sounded stern when he started to answer, “Of course-”
            Quickly you cut him off, not wanting him to finish the rest of his sentence as you knew he was about to say, “Of course I’m offended.”  Though, you didn’t know it was the exact opposite, an d his voice was stern because he was shocked that you thought he would be upset at you.
            The tears reappeared and you lowered your head, the embarrassment flushing through you. “Can I-” Your voice broke as you couldn’t meet his eyes, afraid he might see your tears. “Can I just go?” You asked softly then added a desperate, “Please?”
            His hands left your shoulders as if they were fire and you quickly sped walked away, your hand reaching up to wipe away a tear as you left.
            You quickly made it to the single bathroom and locked the door behind you as your tears started to flow harder. Walking over to the sink, your hands gripped the edge of the porcelain while you looked into the mirror, watching yourself cry.
            “That was so embarrassing,” You muttered to yourself, your face in your hands after you had looked at your face for a while, a small sob escaping your lips.
            Once you had finished crying, you fixed your makeup so you looked normal again, your eyes only slightly puffy. As you were looking at yourself in the mirror, you tried not to cry again as your brain reminded you of how embarrassing that was. Finally, you were able to open the door and leave to roam around the PetStore again, careful to avoid Loki.
            You spotted Clint and sighed in relief as you started to walk towards him. He glanced at you then back at the cage he was looking at before calling over to you, “[Name]!” he called your name excitedly. “Check this out.”
            He ran towards you, grabbing your arm and yanking you towards the cage. When he released you, you rubbed your wrist and gave him a soft glare.
            “Say hello,” Clint told the bird in the cage, making you raise an eyebrow.
            “Say hello,” The bird repeated, making you jump back in surprise.
            “Isn’t that awesome!” Clint shouted.
            “Are you going to get him?” You ask.
            Clint’s expression brightened so much you wondered if that was a mistake to ask.
            “TONY!” Clint yelled in a sing song voice and ran to the billionaire.
            “Definitely a bad idea,” You muttered to yourself before going back to wander the store.

            After about three hours, everyone that wanted a pet got one except for Steve and Thor. Clint, surprisingly, got the talking bird, Nat got a ferret, and Bruce got two fish. The car was piled with pet supplies and the animals, so  Tony drove everything and everyone home so they could set up everything.
            Steve and Thor wanted dogs, so  you and Loki joined them, as you worked there, and Loki didn’t want to be in the car with all the animals.
            The shelter wasn’t that far away so you all decided to walk and have Tony pick you up later. Both Steve and Thor wanted big dogs and there were two at the shelter that you knew would fit them perfectly. So  you already bought the supplies and sent them home with Tony. Now all you had to do was show the two dogs to them.
            When you walked into the shelter, Lucy looked up from what she was doing, a smile on her face going to greet the small group, but  stopped the greeting when she saw you.
            [Name]!” She exclaimed cheerfully.
            “Hi Lucy.” You smiled then gestured to Steve and Thor. “We’re here to check out those two golden retrievers?”
            Lucy clapped her hands together. “Oh you’ll love those two!” She smiled brightly, referring to Steve and Thor.
            “I hope so ma’am,” Steve nodded, smiling.
            “Come on back boys, so I can show them to you,” Lucy said, walking towards the back with you, Thor and Steve following before Loki pulled you back.
            Surprised, you looked back at him, fear clenching his heart as a reminder of what happened earlier in the pet store.
            “[Name]…” Loki said gently, drawing your name out as his fingers brushed your hand.
            As much as you wanted him to hold your hand, you instinctively drew your hand back as quickly as you felt his touch, the haunting memory bolded in your thoughts.
            “We should catch up to them.” You said quickly. As he opened his mouth, you quickly turned away and rushed towards the doors, walking for a bit but finally stopping and closing your eyes as you took a deep breath trying to clear the memory. You heard the door swing open, indicating that Loki walked in, so  you started walking towards the kennels again. When you finally made it to the kennel, you slowed your pace and put your hands on your hips, smiling as you saw Thor and Steve on the floor, the two togs on top of them licking their faces enthusiastically. Thor and Steve were laughing and weakly trying to get them off while Lucy smiled at them, walking besides you before stopping and saying, “I’ll get them ready to go home with you guys.”
            You met her eyes and gave her a bright smile before watching the sight in front of you again, the awkward moment with Loki passed.
____________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: Thank you for hearting this story! Remember to comment on what you thing and or what you want us to write next! Thanks for reading!
        -WriterManiac1 (Breann), and LondynEngland