George

Vivian was sat alone. The fire had dimmed to embers, crackling as the wood turned to ash, barely generating enough light to see her face in the dark room. The family home was quiet. It had been for a while now; like it was missing the life from in it. Eight family members, three guests, thousands of memories turning the otherwise rundown building into the cosiest home on earth, yet there was no warmth. Not even when the fire was roaring had there been. She pulled her knees closer to her chest, arms so short only her finger tips emerged from the old jumper she was wearing. A red jumper with a golden F stitched in the middle. She hadn't taken it off since that day, since everyone returned to the burrow. A now empty home despite the bodies filling it. In all her years visiting, Vivian couldn't recall a single quiet night, but not even the crickets or the gnomes dared make a sound now. Not even the ghoul. Vivian missed the ghoul.

*

"Being awfully QUIET" The ghoul shouted as he flew down the stairs, banging on as many walls as he could as he went.

"If you shut UP, maybe I'll give you your chains back" Fred whisper shouted at him, visibly relieved as the ghoul did so. 

"So you took them did you?"

"Be quiet and I'll hand them back. Tomorrow". The ghoul glasped his hands together at the suggestion, contemplating if getting them back was worth missing out getting Fred into trouble. Fred's hand squeezed Vivian's and she stayed half hidden behind him, still freaked out by the ghoul despite her many encounters, and her heart hammering at the thought they could get caught any minute now by Molly. The silence now in the room was now almost unwelcome as they waited for a decision, the ghoul taking far too long before nodding his head and disappearing back into the large house. 

"C'mon" Fred pulled on Vivian's hand, a stupid grin at his face from being able to get away with this, leading her up to his room. Vivian had the same rush of adrenaline from getting away with it. Molly outright refused to allow her and Fred to sleep in the same room, as if that could stop them from already doing what she was obviously trying to avoid. Vivian wasn't even supposed to be at the burrow tonight, the Weasley family were going on holiday tomorrow, but they missed eachother. Wanted another night together before she didn't see him for a week.

*

Fresh tears burst from Vivian's eyes at the memory and she didn't bother to wipe them away. Oh how she wished that it was only a week that Fred would be gone for. That they would send each other owls even if they knew they'd see each other in person before any letter actually arrived. She missed thinking one week was a long time to spend without him. 

"Vivian?" The soft voice almost made her jump from her skin. She hadn't heard anyone coming down the stairs, it was as if the house itself wouldn't allow any noise. When she looked over she was greeted with a face she so longed to see, except, it wasn't that face. An identical face but with a missing ear. She ought to have said something back, but she couldn't bring herself to form any words. All she could do was look at him for a moment before turning away. He didn't try to speak to her again, but he did join her by the fire, watching as the last few dots of red faded away. She rested her head on his shoulder, sucking in a sharp breath, trying not to let out a horrendous cry at the pain. She'd had enough of crying, of screaming, of trying to get the universe to take it all back.  She could see him in her head, picture his face, hear his voice telling her to perk up. Hear him telling a bad joke. She could almost feel his arms and how they would hold her when she was sad. 

"Hey viv, why don't they play poker in the jungle?" The sudden question took Vivian off guard, and left her utterly confused. 

"Why?" She managed to croak out. She'd barely spoken these past weeks, using her voice felt foreign and unnatural.