North // The Sandlot

The last book ending:

Naomi's P.O.V.

June 26, 1962

Before I knew it, I was running towards the phone hurrying to call 911.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"My mother is dead, she just killed herself in her room, with a gun, she's dead I know it." I cried into the phone.

"Your mother killed herself?"

"Yes, please send out someone to help me please."

"What's your address?"

"6721 s. Eastgate Way."

"Okay, someone is on the way."

I didn't say anything, I just hanged up and turned back around.

After a few minutes, I hear the sirens coming from outside and the paramedics coming through the door.

I pointed to the hallway and walked with them back to the room where my mother laid.

They put her in a bag and walked out with her and me trailing behind with Lucy on one side and Cam on my other.

I always wished for her to be dead, but now that it's actually happening. What's even going to happen to us Ni?" Cam asked.

I walked out the door standing in the driveway with tears running down my face.

"I don't know Cam, I really don't know." I choked out.

I watched as they folded the stretcher into the ambulance.

People on the street started to come out of their houses and stand somewhere either in their driveway or street.

I watch as Smalls did and the Rodriguez following suit.

Cops then walked over to us to question us.

"Are you the daughter of the woman who just died?" He asked.

I nodded my head slowly, "Yes sir."

"I'm going to need you and your siblings to come down to the station for questioning."

I nodded and picked up Lucy walking over to his car and opening the door for Cam.

In the corner of my eye I see Benny looking at me, and about to start walking over.

I put Lucy in the car, "Can you wait for a second?"

I didn't let him answer I ran across the street meeting him, "Naomi what is going on?"

"I'm fine. I'm fine, don't worry about me okay?" I paused wiping my face, "You're my favorite person, remember that."

"You're my favorite person too Naomi." He gave me and weak grin, which I returned.

I hurried and turned around heading back to the car. I hoped in, closing the door behind me. He turned on his sirens and lights and we sped passed Benny who stood on the sidewalk. I didn't do anything but stare at him as we went passed.

"You're my favorite person Benny. You're my favorite person. Never play by the rules unless it's a game."