13

Naomi's P.O.V.

Flashback

July 21, 1962

It was getting really late now, so Charlie, Lucy, and Cam were already passed out on the couch, and Casey was doing something in the kitchen while I sat at the dinning room table.

It was dark in the house, the main source of light was coming from the light in the dinning room above me. In front of me was piles of papers.

I look through the paper that I found at a store a little while ago, it was places for sale and jobs opening around the world. I was looking back at Utah.

Lately, I've been thinking about going back. Thinking that I could handle it and be able to support all of us. I mean I have been doing this for 2 years already. I haven't told anyone about thinking about going back to Utah. It was mostly a thought in the back of my mind. But it doesn't hurt to look in case I actually put this plan back in action.

I take a pen circling things, mostly jobs, and also writing numbers on another paper so I can call them tomorrow while I'm at work.

Don't get me wrong, I like it here, but I liked it more back in Utah. I didn't even get the total time that I usually get in every other place that I've been. I didn't get the whole experience while I was there. So I see this as finishing what I started.

As I was writing a number down on the paper next to me, Casey walked into the room.

"Whatcha' doing?" I hear as Casey sits down at one of the chairs besides me.

I quickly turn over the paper and close the book, and tried to gather the other papers, "Nothing."

"Obviously you're doing something or you wouldn't be hiding it." She said, turning over the paper and looking at the book. "You thinking about going back?"

I looked down at the table, "Casey, I don't want it to look like something that it isn't. Yes I've been thinking about going back, but I don't know if I physically could. It's just a 'what if' thought that travels around in my mind."

She nodded putting her head in her hand, "Why exactly do you want to go back?"

I shrug, "Something is calling me back. I really think that's one of the only places that I've ever lived where I was happy. But I'm scared that at the same time, the reason why I was so happy, that he might have forgotten me."

She smiled, "I can promise you, no one has forgotten you."

I smile.

"So, if you go back, where are you going to stay?" She ask, removing her hand from under her head.

"That's why I also can't go back, no where to stay. I have no family there, and I can't just barge into someone's home." I explained.

"That one friend you told me about," she paused thinking, "Benny was it?"

I nodded, "That was one from down there."

"You told me how comfortable you were around him and same to Lucy. Why don't you stay there?" She asked.

I look around the dinning room, seeing all the decorations that I haven't really payed attention to before.

"That's who I'm scared forgot me." I mumbled.

"Oh c'mon Naomi, it's been a month, how could he have forgotten you?" She asked throwing her arms in the air, "Besides, the way that you described him to me, he is one that couldn't ever forgot. He was a one in million, don't let him slip through your fingers."

"I don't know Casey. I really don't think I could do it." I said looking back at her.

"You don't have to go, you can stay here for as long as you like. But I'm telling you, your worse fear doesn't exist. I can promise you that." She said standing up, "I'm going to head off to bed, which I hope you will be doing soon too young lady."

I smile, "Yes I promise."

She nodded walking back to the hallway to the bedrooms.

I then looked out to the living room where Cam was passed out on the couch. I grin myself and look back down at the papers in front of me.

This is something that I know Cam wants. I thought about what he said to me, that I've done a lot in my life, and he really hasn't got to experience much for himself.

I don't want to let him down, and I do want him to have a good life, I don't want him to worry about the things that I already have to worry about. So I think that going back would do just that.