5

Naomi's P.O.V.

Flashback

June 28, 1962

I hopped off the highway when I got to Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I don't really know what was calling me to come here. If we were to be exact and start talking numbers. There are 50 states in the U.S.A., in my 15 years of living, I have lived in 30 of them. Minnesota happens to be in one of the places that I have never lived in.

I look down at the clock on the dashboard. It was almost 10 in the morning of the next day, so every place that you could get coffee, would probably be packed about now, and I don't look so hot. I've been driving for also 15 hours. So I could only assume the bags under my eyes.

As I kept driving, I saw a diner that happened to still be open, and have almost no one in the parking lot. Score.

Mickey's Diner Car.

I sigh in relief. I parked the car and looked at Cam who was still asleep next to me and Lucy who happened to be wide awake.

"Wanna go get something to eat?" I asked her.

She nodded smiling, so I woke up Cam, "Hey, we are at a diner, do you wanna come in and get something to eat?"

He brought his head from his hand and looked around at where we were, "Yeah, I don't see why not."

We all piled out of the car and made our way to the small diner. Cam raced in front of us so he could open the door and let all of us in.

I walked over to the bar and picked up Lucy so she could sit down next to me. Then Cam hoped on the other side of her.

"Hi, what can I get ya?" A middle aged woman asked as she walked over to us.

"Uh," I paused reaching for a menu next to me, "what's the best thing you got?" I smiled at her.

"Oh, uh, we have a breakfast that you can get, if you aren't in the mood for breakfast, you can get a cheeseburger, uh-"

I stopped after hearing that, "We'll take 3 cheeseburgers please." I answered.

She smiled writing that down and walked back to the chef that stood behind a wall. She put the slip of paper on a rotating thing, and hit the bell under it.

After seeing her about to turn around, I look over at Cam, who had both of his arms up, holding his head between them. He sat staring at the counter and every once and awhile, he would jerk to the side, but then reposition himself.

I chuckled, "Cam wake up."

"So, what are you guys doing out this early?" Which apparently scared Cam, because he jerked up at the sudden different voice.

I first shrug as an answer then, I looked up at her, "I couldn't even tell ya."

"Why? Do something bad?" She joked.

"Something like that." Cam answered with his eyes starting to close again.

"Where you guys from?" She started, then leaning against he counter.

"Everywhere miss. We haven't stayed in one state for more then 6 months." I explained.

"Okay, then what state did you guys come from?" She went again, as she put her head on her balled fist.

"Utah." I answered.

"That's pretty far from here, where are your parents?"

I looked down at the counter, "Both dead ma'am."

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Where are you guys heading after this?"

Does she ever stop with the questions?

"I haven't thought about it." I answered.

"So you guys are going to stay in that pick-up that you pulled up in?" She said pushing herself off of the counter.

"Till I can find a job around here, yes." I said pushing my hand through my hair.

"I know of this great place that you can work, my son plays on a hockey team here in Minneapolis, they need a manager of the team. They also need someone to work in the store that they get their equipment." She explained.

I smiled, "Where?"

"Why don't you come with me and I'll show everything. You can even met my son and the team. I promise I won't hurt you or anything, you guys seem like nice people." She paused, "Do you guys play hockey?"

I nodded my head, "If street hockey counts them yes."

She smiled looking over at the other two, "So who are these guys?"

"This is my little brother Cam, and this is my little sister Lucy." I said pointing to both of them as I told who was who.

She nodded as a bell went off behind her. She turned around, walked over to the cool, then walked back to give us the food that he ordered.

"So, I'm guessing you are the 'mother' of these too." She said making small talk with me since I was really the only one answering.

"Uh, yes ma'am." I answered as I put a fry into my mouth.

"How old are you? I haven't got your name yet." She pointed out.

"I'm 15, and my name is Naomi." I smiled taking another bite of the French fry in my hand.

"Well nice to meet you. My name is Casey." She smiled, "Anyways, when you are are done eating we'll head back to my place and then you guys can get some rest."

I nodded, continuing to eat my food.