14

Naomi's P.O.V.

Flashback

July 31, 1962

"Naomi!" I heard yelling then the door starts to open of the store and here comes a bunch of kids.

I stand stunned behind the counter watching as all of them pile into the small space of the store. They all hunch over trying to breathe from I guess all the running they did to get here.

"What wrong?" I asked now alert.

"The hawks players are looking for you?" Charlie huffed our.

"Yeah, they were waiting to get you after playoffs." Connie added.

"They're still mad about you beating up one of their players, but their coach didn't want them fighting you." Golberg also added.

"So here they are now." Averman ended.

I crossed my arms, "That happened a week ago, why are still hung up about that?"

They shrug, "Just be careful, you only saw 3 of the players, not the whole team. Trust me they are actually scary."

"Guys," I chuckle, "don't we worried about me. Trust me I can handle myself. A group of hockey players don't scare me." I roll my eyes.

"I really don't think you understand, Naomi, these guys are big, and strong. They are the richest group of people in our league. They could crush you! They could do anything!" Golberg started to yell at me.

I chuckle, putting the papers that I was working under the counter, leaving the main paper out, "Listen, all you guys need to worry about is winning the championship. They are just upset about getting beat up by a girl, that has nothing to do with you guys."

Guy shook his head, "Oh, trust me we have to worry too."

I look at him confused, "What do you mean?"

Connie sighed, "Coach thought it would be a good idea to add another player to the team."

I nodded, "He told me about this. Now what about it?"

She continued, "That player isn't just a nobody that he picked up off the street like Fulton, no offense," she paused looking at him, which he just shrugged, "he decided to go and mess with the best team, the Hawks, which just happens to be the same team that already has a problem with you."

I nodded, "But then Gordon had to fight with board against it and he lost, so still, why are they still upset with you guys?"

"They know that Han gave Gordon the idea. Also that you were another that knew about this. They also want to beat up the team for trying to break them up, and beat you up for beating up those 3 guys."

I lean against the counter, "Who even is the guy that Gordon wanted to bring over?"

Charlie looked around the group, then back over to me, "The guy that you first took down that day, Banks."

I wasn't angry, or mad, or even really phased at any of this, they are upset about something that is so small. They just want to pick a fight that I don't have time for.

I shrug in response and go back to the work I was doing, "So be it, I don't really care."

"You don't care that one of the biggest pee-wee teams in the district want to beat you up?" Averman confirmed.

I nodded, "Yeah, that's about right."

"Are you crazy?" Guy asked.

I nodded, "Just a little bit."

I look down at the counter getting the paper that I was working on, and walked back to the office to give it to Han. He wasn't in there so I just put it on his desk. He was fine, he was probably with Gordon or something.

I walk back out sitting back at the counter.

"So what if they do beat you up?" Peter asked, bring the conversation back.

"I would like to see them try." I mumbled, then getting started on the inventory.

Standing up I walk over to the store, looking through items and counting them.

"What happens if they bring the whole team and it's just you? What would you do then?" Guy asked.

"Look, they just want to pick a fight. I don't really care." I paused looking up from the hockey sticks I was counting, "Tell me anyways, how did you guys find out about this?"

"We over heard it when we were at the rink today practicing." Fulton said, jumping on the counter.

I rolled my eyes, "You goons, they are probably just scaring you guys or something. The team would be the only ones at the rink, so if they were there, they probably wanted you to over hear and come running back to me to tell me."

"I don't think that's totally true. I really think they want to beat you up." Averman said, coming up next to me.

"Well then I'll be waiting, won't I?" I sassed, getting back to what I was doing.

I walked down the sidewalk holding the papers in my hands. I didn't make any calls today, because I've came to realize everything is very expensive, and I'm short about $600.

That's almost 7 weeks worth at the store. Which means that I'll be stuck here for a little while. Which if my plan works, then I'll be out of here late August early September.

Lucy left with Cam when he came running in with the team earlier, so it was just me walking home tonight.

I turn left on the street of the apartment whiling looking down at my feet. It was getting to be late almost 8, the sky wasn't completely dark but it wasn't very much daylight left either.

I sigh peacefully at the empty streets, and the sound of silence around me. I look up at the sky seeing it changing of colors, watching the sunset in the process.

I decided last minute to take the alley that was a little bit of a shortcut to the apartment. Now seeing trash filled the alley, and the back doors to houses or stores being slightly open.

I walk up to it, trying to get passed the dark filled night when I was pulled over to the wall, with a hand covering my mouth.

I look up alarmed at who just did this to me, to see a not so happy Banks. Funny thing was, no one else was there.