21

Naomi's P.O.V.

Flashback
August 10, 1962

I walk into the apartment, sighing, and closing the door behind me. Charlie, Cam, and Lucy sat on the couch watching whatever cartoon was on, and Casey was in the kitchen, making dinner.

I walk over to the hallway, and then back to my room, putting my bag down and then walking back out.

"Hey Casey." I call out, standing in the door way.

"Oh hey Naomi, there's some mail for you on the table." She smiled, taking a glance at me, then back to cooking.

I walk over to the kitchen table, seeing a white envelope sitting there. I pick it up and looked in the top left corner for a name.

Benny Rodriguez

I smile big as I basically ripped open the envelope. Inside was a piece of paper and a picture.

I flip over the picture to see it was the sandlot gang. Them all standing on the sandlot, and having all different expressions. I smile at the picture, then flip it over to see some writing on it.

'Hey Naomi! We miss you, please come back, it isn't the same without 'the ni' running around our field.'

I smile, putting it down and unfolding the letter, then seeing Benny's sloppy handwriting on it. I chuckle a little to myself, seeing the note was front and back.

'Hey Naomi,

I don't even know where to begin in this letter. Maybe I should start with happy 1 month and some change anniversary! I don't know if you are keeping track of that, or if you even remember. I really miss you Ni, ever since you left it's been different around here. Your old house, it was gutted out, seeing everything that was once in your house go out into a garage can was really weird. I did manage to sneak over to get something of yours that you had to leave behind. There was this box that was labeled 'Mom and Dad', I thought that maybe you would want it or something. There was also your, Cam, and Lucy's clothes, they're now in a trash bag in my room, but I have them. What really sucks though is that the house is for sale. Like nothing happened. School starts in a month, starting freshman year without you. I would probably do anything to just see you again. I saw the phone number on the postcard you gave me, I just didn't know when to call you, so if I call you in the middle of the night, sorry. I'm really happy to hear that your safe and found a place to stay. Just getting that postcard was probably the best thing. I just miss you so much Naomi. I need you here with me, I need to hear your voice.

You're my favorite person Naomi.
Love, Benny (the most handsome man in the world)

I smile, laughing but also crying a little, holding the paper in one hand and picked up the picture in the other.

"I'll be there before you know it Benny. I promise."

August 20, 1962

It was late tonight. I'm always awake this late, it became a habit of me to stay up late if I want peace or something.

This night, I was awake this late because I was sorting through my money, and plotting points on a map to get me back to Utah.

I actually did pick up on another job, it was the after working at the store, I worked things with Casey and she was fine with taking care of the kids by herself.

It was a diner in the strip mall that me and Charlie would go to. Rich people live over there so you the tips were the best. So money was really adding together.