Chapter 1: Pain

Pain.

That's all I feel. It's dark. I don't know where I am, but I hear a soft sound that's oddly comforting. Wherever I am, it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the pain. The soft, pretty voice is what's calming me down, but the pain is still going. The space I'm in is really small, and I try to move around to somehow make the pain lessen, but nothing works. I can hardly move at all. I try to stretch the lower part of me, but nothing happens. The more I stretch, the more the lower part of me starts to hurt. The calming sound stops. After a moment, the sound doesn't come back. I don't like this. I start to push harder, maybe I need to push through the pain to get what I want. Instead of getting what I want, I hear and feel a snap sound in a part of the lower half of me. Ow! This hurts more than whatever is going on inside of me. I want the soft sound to start again. Maybe that will help.

The soft sound starts up again, but it's different this time. I don't know why. There is a different soft sound, that's much farther away. I prefer the voice that's closer. Suddenly, there's something that presses up against the thing that's keeping me in this small space, close to the top part of me. What's going on? I press something close to the top part of me against whatever this new thing is. The soft sound stops. No! There's a louder sound, but it's not the close one. This is new. Still high though. I want the close one to start again. It helps me feel better. I also want this pain the lower part to stop. And the pain inside me. I just want the pain to stop.

A little while after, I hear a new sound. What is going on? This one isn't as high as the ones I heard before, but it's still... nice sounding. The closest soft sound starts again, and then stops. The lower sound gets closer. It doesn't sound nice anymore, it sounds... worried? So does the softer, closest sound. I'm in pain and I don't know what's happening. I don't like it. I start to move around again. I push the top part of me against the small space, but I hear another snap. Ow! Why does that keep happening? A bigger version of the thing that pressed up against the small space earlier appears. I press the lower part of me that doesn't feel weird up against it, and the large thing moves away. The lower, loud sound comes back. That sound, and the soft sound close to me go back and forth. The soft sound isn't comforting anymore. It's loud. Then more new voices come, more than one. Something really big presses up against my cage. Not like the other things though. Much bigger. It's making this space even smaller, so I try to push against it, to make it go away.Thankfully, it goes away rather quickly. The sounds talk really low. I can't hear. Then, a bunch of sounds come together. I don't understand what's going on. Then, they get louder. Then, they stop altogether.

For a long time, the pain doesn't stop. The low sound happens a lot more often now, and the big thing presses up against my cage to. The closer sound happens a lot more often to, and I really like that voice. It also pats on the small space that I'm in sometimes, and that's nice. The small space hasn't gotten any bigger, which really sucks. I don't have any room at all, and the longer I'm in here, the more I continue to hurt. It starts to get harder and harder to move. For some reason, I don't want to move much anymore. It's not worth it. It's too hard. I think the soft sound knows what's happening, because the less I move, the more the small space gets pat. After a long time, I stop moving. It's way too hard. I start to feel weird. I then hear the soft sound get louder. The small space I'm in moves, very quickly. Several sounds come together. Some high, some low, all pretty. Some more calming than others. They're also all quick to. And loud.

I then hear a loud sound, very different. I don't like this noise at all. It sounds painful. Then, the space I'm in isn't completely dark anymore. Still a little dark, but not all the way. The loud, painful noise happens again, this time it's closer. This time, it gets a lot less dark. I think I see... something... but I don't know what it is. It gets closer to me, and I realize this is what's making the noise. I don't like it. I start to move again, anything to get away from this thing. Then, I'm not in the small space anymore. The thing takes me and lifts me out of the small space. I don't like it! What if this thing is going to hurt me to? I start to make a lot of noise and move so this thing can see that I want to be near it. "It's a girl" the thing says. Girl? This thing isn't the soft sound I heard earlier. I want that. "Let me see her!" something says.

The soft sound! That's it! I need to be near it! I try and move to see where the sound is coming from, but the thing that's holding me won't let me get closer to it. "In a second, Rosalie. Let me clean her off" the holding-me-thing says. What? No! Does he not care I just want to be with the soft sound? To get my point across, I start to cry. "Carlisle!" the soft sound says, this time more worried. "I'm almost done" the holding-me-thing says. He lays me down and wipes something all over me, and then wraps me in something else. It makes me feel better. Safer. He picks me up again. I start to cry again when he moves me to something else until the something else starts talking. "Hey baby.." she says softly. The soft sound! I stop crying at once and look around. When I see the thing that made the soft sound, I smile, and it smiles back.

"She's beautiful" the soft sound says, smiling more. Then, I can see something else. Two more somethings. One of them is the thing that took me away from the soft sound. I don't like that, so I scoot closer to the soft sound. The other something is smiling to. "She looks exactly like you. If I didn't know any better, I would think you had the baby by yourself" the meanie who took me away from the soft sound says. "You can even see where her blonde hair is growing in. Hm.. It's the exact same shade as yours. Her eyes are like yours when you were human to. Like violets..." the meanie says and then goes away. The other thing looks at me. "I wonder why she's human..." he says, and the soft sound pulls me closer to her. "It's going to stay that way" she says. I don't understand what's going on. All I care about is that I am exactly where I want to be.

"Want to hold her Emmett?" the soft sound says. What? I don't want to be away from the soft sound... "You sure Rose?" the other thing says. This is the lower and louder sound that I liked. That might not be so bad. I think I could handle that. "Of course" the soft sound says and moves me closer to the loud sound. It takes me and it smiles down. This isn't so bad, especially because I know that the soft sound is next to me. "Can we come in yet?!" I hear another light sound ask. "Come in, but not too loud" the soft sound says and soon a few more things come into the room. "I could hear her thoughts from outside. Her mental faculties are already amazing. She is in love with Rosalie. She doesn't like to be away from her for too long, and she's mad at Carlisle for taking her away from her. She's trying to understand everyone" something says. Say what? I don't understand that. "She's not very successful at some aspects" it continues. That's not very nice.

"Can we see her now?" a light voice says. "Yes Alice, but don't crowd her" the soft sound says. The thing that's holding me lowers down and sits next to the soft sound, who I've learned is named Rosalie. Something bends over me. "She's so cute!" it says with a big smile. Something bends next to her. "Spitting image of Rosalie" it says. "Jasper, want to hold her?" one of the light sounds asks. "I'd like to figure out why she's human first" another low sound says. "I think I have a place to start" the sound called Carlisle says. "A blood test. This will also figure out why her arm and leg aren't broken anymore" he continues. "Emmett, give me the baby" Rosalie says quietly and the low sound called Emmett hands me over. "Carlisle, I don't want my baby poked and prodded right now" Rosalie says. "Rosalie, by all accounts she should be a vampire, but she's not. We need to find out why. For her and our safety" Carlisle says. "Can't it wait? She'll still be here later" Rosalie says while looking down at me. "She looks exhausted" she says softly. She leans back and starts rocking me. Within minutes, I fall asleep.

*Author's Note: This is my first fanfiction that I've posted. Tell me what you think! Also, I have this pre-written so if people like it, I'll post more of the chapters*