Chapter 3: New Start

*4 years later*

"Oooo maybe this one!" I say. My Aunt Alice and I are going on a little shopping spree in a fancy boutique in Seattle, Washington. Aunt Alice and my mom are my favorite shopping partners, but my mom isn't here right now. Right now I'm helping Aunt Alice pick out a new dress for a garden party that grandma and her got invited to. The dress I picked out is actually a three piece. It has a white crop top and fitted skirt and over it is a clear mesh material with flowers on it. "That's amazing! I'll put that in the 'yes' pile" she says, which is actually a huge pile of clothes laid over her arm. "This would look good on you!" Aunt Alice says and she pulls out a pink sweater with a big black bow on it, shorts, and pink shoes. "I'm not sure if your dad will be okay with the shorts, but I'll convince him to let you wear them" she says dismissively. Then, her phone rings. "Yeah Rose?" she says. This peaks my attention. What does mom need? "I don't think she'll like that, but okay" Alice says and then hangs up. "What is it?" I ask. "Your parents want you home" she says. "What? I'm having fun though!" I say. "It's important. I'll buy you lunch on the way. Let's go" she says. She pays for our stuff and I grudgingly follow. After she buys me subway, we get in the car and head home.

On the drive, I'm a bit worried about what my parents want. They normally don't do that sort of thing. When we pull up to our house, nothing is out of the ordinary. When we get into the house though, I see my parents, grandmother, uncles and some old guy talking on our couch. The old guy looks really weird. He kind of looks like Merlin from that old Disney movie. He is wearing a purple starry hat with matching robes. He has half moon glasses resting on a very broken looking nose. He has very long silver hair that is even tucked into his belt. "Hey Chloe. Could you come here please?" mom requests, patting the spot in between her and dad. Hesitantly, I sit down but don't keep my eyes off the old man. "Miss Cullen. It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Professor Dumbledore from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" he says, introducing himself. "Witchcraft?" I ask with an eyebrow raised. "Yes. You seem to share your mother's skepticism" he says. He pulls something out of his cloak, waves it, and a bouquet of lilies comes out of it.

My eyes get wide as he pulls the flowers from the stick. He taps them once and the entire bouquet gets bigger before my eyes and he hands them to me. "Have you ever made something happen that you couldn't explain? Like when you were excited or scared?" he asks. "Um..." I start to say. The truth is, I have. Since my parents are vampires, I have some enhanced abilities like strength, strength, reflexes, balance - although not at the capacity of a vampire - and I also have a vampire's memory. When I was a baby, I was very attached to my mom (not much has changed there though). When I couldn't be with her for one reason or another, I wanted to be with my dad. The problem was is that my blood smells more amazing to them than any other human. No one is sure why, but that means sometimes, especially when they hadn't fed for a while, I couldn't be near them for my own safety. My mom tried to prevent this by feeding a lot more often, but sometimes even that wasn't enough. So while they tried to regain their control through one method or another, one of my relatives (mostly my grandpa or Uncle Edward) would take me. I would cry the whole time they weren't around me. I would also sometimes make flowers die and make things explode, like my grandpa's medicine for me in his office at home or my grandma's photography stuff.

After not responding with a full sentence, Dumbledore takes over. "Your parents have informed me of things that have happened in your presence that would tell me that the answer would be yes. Like making things explode, accidentally setting your mother's clothes on fire when you were sick" he says, and I blush. I try to block that memory out. "All of that is consistent with a witch or wizard that hasn't been trained. You have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's a boarding school in Scotland for young witches and wizards" he says. I look to my mom. Being away at a boarding school for the entire school year? I don't know if my mom would want me to be away for that long. I don't want to be away from her for that long either. "At first I didn't want you to go. Not knowing what you're doing or if you're in any danger. But then your dad made a very good point. It's high time that you start making friends with people your own age. As long as you write us, I will be okay with you going if you want to go" she says. I turn to my dad. "I really think you should go. We've already discussed our... unique situation with you and us and as long as you keep it a secret and see the school nurse when you get sick, everything will be okay" he says. I study him and decide that going would make him really happy. I turn to Dumbledore and nod. "Excellent" he says. He pulls out a letter and hands it to me.

Miss C. Cullen

The second largest bedroom on the third floor

3333 NW Quimby St.

Forks

Washington

In the envelope are two sheets of a yellowish paper. The first one reads:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. Of Wizards)

Dear Miss Cullen,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva Mcgonagall

Minerva McGonagall,

Deputy Headmistress

My heart's beating very rapidly and my hands are shaking as I hand this envelope to my mom and read the next one:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Uniform

First-year students will require:

Three sets of plain work robes (black)

One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags.

Course Books

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Draughts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other Equipment

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

"Now that you have your list, there are some things we need to discuss..." Dumbledore says and for the next half hour, we go into a discussion about how to prepare for Hogwarts.