Chapter 17: Distractions

I find out quickly that the only way to keep my mind off of why I'm in a hotel room in Phoenix is to focus all of my attention on my studies. I finish an assignment on the Avifors Spell for Transfiguration and also a review assignment on the Transfiguration Alphabet. I also finish several review assignments for History of Magic on several old wizards and I also reviewed the Gargoyle Strike of 1911. I'm rereading my astronomy book when I decide to rest my eyes for a minute. I end up falling asleep.

When I wake up, it looks like it's almost sunrise. That's not what woke me up though. I realize what woke me up is the extreme heat. I'm sweating through my clothes and when I feel my face, it's really hot. I look around and notice that Bella is now awake. Uncle Jasper notices that I'm awake and notices how much I'm sweating. He puts the thermometer in my ear. "103.1" he says, and if I'm not mistaken, I hear a hint of worry in his voice. I have to work to control my panic. Whenever I get too high of a fever, I'm worried that it means I'm going to turn into a vampire. This is probably the worst time to have the possibility of turning. Bella's looking at me to. "Take a cold shower. When you get out, I'll have ibuprofen and cold water for you" Alice says. I don't need telling twice. I nod and get the lightest outfit I can find. I get a matching shirt and skirt. The shirt is small. It's gray with flowers on it and it has spaghetti straps with a v neckline. The shirt crosses below the bust line and ties at the back. The skirt is the same pattern and it falls to my mid thigh, and it leaves a section of my abdomen showing.

At first, the ice cold shower sucks. After a minute though, it feels really good. I no longer feel like I'm going to overheat and I make sure to get all the sweat off my body and hair. The shampoo and conditioner is decent quality, so I trust it. When I'm done, I put my hair in a braid so it will be curly when it's dry. As I'm promised I have to pills and an ice cold bottle of water waiting for me. Doing homework is a little harder this time around. The only thing that keeps me from overheating again is that Alice turned on the radiator in the room so cold air swirls around me. Also, as the hours pass my nose starts to get more stuffy and I'm having to blow it every five minutes. Last but certainly not least, my throat starts to hurt a lot. The only good thing though is the pills are making my temperature go down. I finish all of the assignments for History of Magic, Transfiguration, and Astronomy. I finish my potions assignment on Infusion of Wormwood and Pompion Potion.

The only breaks I take in doing homework is when I'm forced to eat. I don't eat a whole lot as I'm starting to get nauseous. Alice tells me to nap, but I'm too hot to do that. I end up finishing all of my potions assignments by the end of the afternoon. Just as I finish an assignment for Defense Against the Dark Arts, Jasper opens the door to the bedroom. "What did you see?" Jasper asks. I get up and head into the bedroom. She's focusing on something far away. I have to focus to catch what they're saying. "I see a room. It's long, and there are mirrors everywhere. The floor is wooden. He's in the room, and he's waiting. There's gold... a gold stripe across the mirrors." "Where is the room?" "I don't know. Something is missing - another decision hasn't been made yet." "How much time?" "It's soon. He'll be in the mirror room today, or maybe tomorrow. It all depends. He's waiting for something. And he's in the dark now."

Jasper remains calm. "What is he doing?" "He's watching TV... no, he's running a VCR, in the dark, in another place." "Can you see where he is?" "No, it's too dark." "And the mirror room, what else is there?" "Just the mirrors, and the gold. It's a band, around the room. And there's a black table with a big stereo, and a TV. He's touching the VCR there, but he doesn't watch the way he does in the dark room. This is the room where he waits." Her eyes drift to Jasper's face. "There's nothing else?" She shakes her head. They look at each other. "What does it mean?" Bella asks. Neither of them answer. Then, Jasper looks at Bella. ""It means the tracker's plans have changed. He's made a decision that will lead him to the mirror room, and the dark room." "But we don't know where those rooms are?" "No." "But we do know that he won't be in the mountains north of Washington, being hunted. He'll elude them." Alice's voice is bleak. "Should we call?" Bella asks. Then, the phone rings. Alice is across the room just as I lift my head to look at it. "Carlisle," she breathes. "Yes," she says, glancing at Bella and I. "I just saw him." and then she describes the vision. "Whatever made him get on that plane... it was leading him to those room." she pauses. "Yes," Alice says, and then she speaks to me. "Chloe?" I can see Bella drop her face in disappointment in my peripheral, but I don't care. I rush to the phone.