Chapter 13: Baseball

Later, Edward drives Bella home. He comes back several minutes later saying that the Blacks - a family that lives at the La Push Native American Reservation - is at her house, so he's going back later to pick her up. Mom - who doesn't seem pleased at all that Bella is joining the game - groans at this. I take this opportunity. "Can I go with you to pick her up?" I ask. "You want to go with me?" he asks in a skeptical tone. I replay the conversation I had with my parents earlier and add that I am still mad at them for making me go away with no explanation. "Oh. Sure" he says. I smile and fifteen minutes later, Edward and I take my dad's giant jeep to go pick up Bella.

"Can I wait in the car?" I ask Edward when we pull up to her house. "No, that would be rude" Edward says. I sigh and jump out of the jeep. The two of us walk up to the door and he rings the doorbell. A second later, a man I recognize to be Chief Swan answers the door with Bella half a step behind him. "Come on in," Chief Swan says to the two of us, and we do. It's a nice relief to be away from the pouring rain. My hair is soaking, and it does not do my appearance any favors. "Thanks, Chief Swan. This is my little sister Chloe" Edward says and gestures to me. I smile and wave. According to most of Forks, I am my mom and Uncle Jasper's younger biological sister. Chief Swan looks at me, shocked, and I giggle. "Go ahead and call me Charlie. Here, I'll take your jackets," he says. "Thank you" I say and hand him my jacket.

Edward and I sit on the two person couch, which forces Bella to sit by her dad. I wonder why she doesn't seem okay with that? "So, I hear you're getting my girl to watch baseball." Charlie says. Oh lord, the 'you better treat my baby girl right' speech. I'm glad I didn't stay in the car and miss this. I force myself to repress a smile. "Yes, sir, that's the plan." he says, ignoring my thoughts. "Well, more power to you, I guess." Everyone apart from Bella laughs. "Okay." Bella stands up. "Enough humor at my expense. Let's go." Well that wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. I take my jacket and, with one last wave at Charlie, I walk to the jeep.

I get inside the huge jeep and put on the off roading harness. By the time this is done, Bella and Edward still haven't made it to the car. When the leave the house, Bella freezes at the sight of the jeep. I can't help but giggle. "What's all this?" Bella asks when she's in the car. "It's an off-roading harness" I answer. "Uh-oh" she says. Edward sighs and helps her buckle the off roading harness. Edward turns the key and the engine roars, then, we pull away from the house. "This is a... um... big Jeep you have." "It's Emmett's. I didn't think you'd want to run the whole way." Edward says. "Where do you keep this thing?" "We remodeled one of the outbuildings into a garage." "Aren't you going to put on your seat belt?" she asks Edward. I roll my eyes. Then, something sinks in with Bella.

"Run the whole way? As in, we're still going to run part of the way?" Edward grins. "You're not going to run." "I'm going to be sick." Oh no, you better not throw up on my clothes I tell Bella internally. "Keep your eyes closed, you'll be fine." I try to ignore the rest of their love talk. It's not particularly interesting to me. A little while later, we come to the end of the road; the trees form green walls on three sides of the Jeep. It's just drizzling now. "Sorry, Bella, we have to go on foot from here." I hop out of the car. I rather enjoy vampire speed. They have a short conversation in the car, and then Edward helps Bella out of the jeep. "I'll get those, you go on ahead," Bella protests as Edward tries to help with the harness. "Hmmm...," he muses as he quickly finishes. "It seems I'm going to have to tamper with your memory." Edward pulls Bella from the Jeep and sets her on the ground. "Tamper with my memory?" she asks nervously. "Something like that." Edward watches her intently, carefully. He places his hands against the Jeep on either side of her head and leans forward, forcing her back against the door. He leans in even closer, his face inches from hers. "Now," he breathes. "What exactly are you worrying about?" "Well, um, hitting a tree -" she gulps "- and dying. And then getting sick" I roll my eyes all the way to the sky. Does she have no faith in him at all?