Chapter 5: Classes

The next day is a whirlwind. I am very thankful for Fred, George, and Lee though because they tell me where all of my classes are so I don't get lost. They tell me that there are 142 staircases in Hogwarts and they all behave differently. Some are rickety, some have a vanishing step, some lead to different places on different days. Some doors even have special ways of opening them. If those boys aren't around - which is rare considering I've been with them a lot lately because they're my only friends and so I can learn my way around - Nearly Headless Nick is always willing to help new Gryffindors find our way around. Peeves is a real pain. He seems to go out of his way to screw with your day or harrass you. Then there's Argus Filch and his cat Mrs. Norris. That god forsaken cat seems to be waiting for any reason to get students into trouble. When someone does anything even remotely out of line, she'll whisk off for Filch, who comes behind her seconds later. He doesn't even give time to run. Fred and George says he knows all the secret passages. This prompts the three boys to teach me all of the secret passages so I can be prepared for Filch.

The classes themselves are a lot trickier than I thought they would be. There's a lot more to magic than just waving a wand and saying words. We have to take complicated notes, and learn history, and study magical plants. Just because I have a photographic memory and can remember what I read or heard doesn't mean I can understand it right away. I met a girl named Hermione and we often spend a lot of time studying together and quizzing each other either in the library or the Gryffindor Common room. I have no idea what studying the night sky has to do with magic, and I have to try my hardest not to fall asleep during History of Magic. Hermione is my saving grace in that class because I end up having to copy some of her notes afterwards. My favorite class is probably Transfiguration. It's challenging, but not so challenging that you want to give up. On the first day, after taking a lot of notes, we are given a match and given the task of turning it into a needle. By the end of class, I have managed to change five matches into needles, and so has Hermione. Professor McGonagall gives us smiles.

Defense Against the Dark Arts is a bit lame. Professor Quirrell's classroom smells a lot like garlic to ward off vampires and Fred and George tell me that his turban also has garlic in it. Friday turns out to be one of the more sucky days because we end up having double potions with Slytherins. Fred and George were right about the Slytherins being rather unpleasant. While I often get stares as I walk down the corridors and from other Gryffindors in the common room, the Slytherins seem to go out of their way to piss me off. A nasty Slytherin girl tried to trip me and while I did end up getting some grass stains on my hands, I scared her with my face. Their behavior is no different when I enter the dungeons. Turns out though that the Slytherins are the least of my worries. Their Head of House, Professor Snape, is way worse.

I realize almost right away that he has it out for everyone who isn't a Slytherin. He took points away from Gryffindor for Harry's sass - which, Harry probably shouldn't have done - but what really pisses me off is that Snape took points away because Harry wasn't watching what another student was doing. I'm pissed now. "Come on Chloe, let's go study" Hermione says, probably in an effort to distract me. We make our way up to Gryffindor tower, make ourselves comfortable, and I start on the boatload of homework Professor McGonagall assigned us. In the middle of an essay on The Transformation Formula, Maple comes flying in with another owl helping her. Tied to her legs are a couple packages and a letter. Once I've relieved the burdens, she nips me gently on my finger and quickly flies back out the window. "Who are all those from?" Hermione asks in amazement. I look at the envelope. "My parents! My birthday is on the eighteenth, so that must be what the packages are for" I explain. "Cool! Mine's on the nineteenth! What's the letter say?" she asks. I open the letter and read it aloud:

Dear Chloe,

Everything is great here. We all miss you very much, especially me. I'm not used to you being gone for so long and even though I know it's for a good reason and you're probably learning a lot, that doesn't mean I have to like it. You have to come home for Christmas break. In the meantime, send as much in your letters as you can. That's as close as I can get to hearing your voice.

Hey CoCo. I managed to persuade your mom to let me write the rest of the letter. It makes sense that you were almost put in Slytherin. You are so much like your mother. Your mom's nothing if not resourceful and ambitious. You're also crazy smart, which is something you definitely got from your mother. I'm also not surprised to hear that other people think that you got bravery from me. Sometimes you're too brave for your own good.

Lee, Fred, and George? Those are weird names for girls. Seriously though, what are they like? Just curious. That prank by the way was hilarious. On a different note, we really wish we could be with you for your  12th birthday. Since we can't though, we decided to give you your birthday presents early. We hope you like them.

Love,

Mom and Dad

I open the first package, which is wrapped in sleek silver wrapping paper. In it, is a velvet black case. I open it and sitting on a lot of white silk, is a gorgeous . Its chain is made up of nothing but tiny colorless diamonds. Hanging off of it is a giant blue sapphire pendant with larger colorless diamonds surrounding it. My eyes all but bug out of my skull. "What is it? What did they get you?" Hermione asks. Wordlessly, I hand her the box. She gasps and her eyes grow to the size of little saucers. "Your parents bought you a diamond necklace? Are these real jewels?" she asks. I immediately nod. "Yeah. My family is... uh... extravagant like that" I say and take back the box. I put it on with ease and take my mirror from my bag. This necklace makes me look like a million dollars! As I brush out my long wavy blonde hair, I admire how it looks. It compliments my violet eyes beautifully and my blonde hair and pale skin make it pop. I smile wide.

    "You look gorgeous in that" Hermione says. If I'm not mistaken, I think I hear a hint of envy in her voice. I don't call her out on it though. "Thanks" I say. I turn to the next present, which is in the shape of a circle. It's a large tin box wrapped in a white bow. I undo it and open the box. I giggle and clap. "My mom's chocolate!" I say excitedly and eat a piece. I push it towards Hermione. "Since your birthday is soon to, have as much as you want. It's really good" I say. She takes a piece and has the same reaction I do. "Oh my god, this is amazing" she says. "I know right! It was originally her mom's recipe, but with some help she changed it to make it even better" I say and take another piece. I take out a spare piece of parchment to write them back:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I love the birthday presents! Words cannot describe how much I love the necklace!! It looks so good on me and looks so good with my eyes! The girls at school are going to be so jealous. I hope they like it to. The chocolate was really good to mom, as always. So good and such a good snack while doing homework.

I don't know what prank you're talking about, dad. I really did meet three boys on the train named Lee, Fred, and George. They're really funny but really helpful and smart to. If it wasn't for them I would've gotten lost so much during the first week. If it makes you feel better though, I do have a female friend. Her name is Hermione Granger. Fun fact - her birthday is the day after mine.

Classes are fun, for the most part. My favorites are Transfiguration and Charms. They are probably the most challenging but rewarding. History of magic is so dull because the teacher, Professor Binns - who is also a ghost - drones on and on in the same God forsaken monotone voice. Hermione is a huge help in that class. I try to take as much notes as I can, but in case I miss something because I drifted off, she lets me copy her notes. Defense Against the Dark Arts is a joke. The professor is scared of his own subject, so I'm teaching myself for the most part. Potions is a royal pain because the teacher is so biased! He's the head of Slytherin house and he clearly favors the Slytherins and will take away house points from the Gryffindors for no reason! It's so frustrating. On a happier note, I miss you all. I'll send this in a few days so Maple can get some rest.

Love,

Chloe

I roll up the parchment and continue on my homework.

*Author's Note* In the letter when Chloe's parents are writing to her, the part in italics is when her dad is writing the letter and the part that isn't in italics is when her mom is writing*