Chapter 14: The Hunt

I don't dare move a muscle, not even to see how many vampires are coming into the clearing. I take slow, shallow breathes to stay as quiet as I can. Mom tightens her grip on me and she's standing as straight as a board. What feels like an hour of silence creeps by at a snail's pace. Then, I finally hear a voice that makes my heart sprint. "We thought we heard a game," says a man in a voice that has a slight French accent. "I'm Laurent, these are Victoria and James." There are obviously two more vampires. I try my hardest to think of a spell that would keep them away from me when Quirrell's voice echoes in my head. "If you ever encounter an unfriendly vampire, don't try to use magic if you are by yourself. That will only make the vampire mad. Human witches and wizards spells have little to no effect on vampires. Only a vampire witch or wizard can duel a vampire." My heart sinks.

"I'm Carlisle. This is my family, Emmett and Jasper, Rosalie and Chloe, Esme and Alice, Edward and Bella." Oh no. Do they know I'm here? "Do you have room for a few more players?" Laurent asks. Hell no I think to myself. "Actually, we were just finishing up. But we'd certainly be interested another time. Are you planning to stay in the area for long?" grandpa asks. "We're headed north, in fact, but we were curious to see who was in the neighborhood. We haven't run into any company in a long time." "No, this region is usually empty except for us and the occasional visitor, like yourselves." I can feel the atmosphere start to turn a little more friendly. I don't trust it. "What's your hunting range?" Laurent asks. "The Olympic Range here, up and down the Coast Ranges on occasion. We keep a permanent residence nearby. There's another permanent settlement like ours up near Denali." To no surprise, the new vampire finds this surprising. "Permanent? How do you manage that?" he asks curiously.

"Why don't you come back to our home with us and we can talk comfortably? It's a rather long story." "NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I ask him in my mind. "That sounds very interesting, and welcome. We've been on the hunt all the way down from Ontario, and we haven't had the chance to clean up in a while." Oh my god, they're going to smell my scent all over the house. I'm dead I think. "Please don't take offense, but we'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from hunting in this immediate area. We have to stay inconspicuous, you understand," grandpa explains. "Of course." Laurent says. "We certainly won't encroach on your territory. We just ate outside of Seattle, anyway," "We'll show you the way if you'd like to run with us - Emmett and Alice, you can go with Edward, Bella, and Chloe to get the Jeep" he casually adds. Hallelujah I think, but unfortunately I seem to have jinxed it.

My hair whips in the wind. In the direction of the vampires. I see mom step forward into a hunting crouch, the fiercest snarl I have ever heard rips through her through her throat. Her lips curl back as high as they can above her bared teeth. Dad is at her side in a split second in the same position, growling and snarling as loud as she is. I don't think I've ever seen him this angry before. He looks terrifying. So does mom. A shiver runs up my spine. Now that they are crouched lower, I can see the three vampires. One of them is a tall dark haired male, and the other man - the one who's in the crouch - has cropped hair. The woman has brilliant orange hair. The crouching vampire's eyes flicker from Bella's to mine.

"What's this?" Laurent exclaims in open surprise. No one relaxes their positions. Whenever James shifts, so do my parents. I focus on James, adrenaline pumping through my body, ready to sprint at a moments notice. I take my hands out of my pockets and ball them up. I take one step back and angle myself so I can run if need be. "They're with us" grandpa says firmly. "You brought snacks?" Laurent asks, taking an involuntary step forward. My heart beats even faster and I seriously consider running, and I'm almost poised to do so. Mom and dad snarl louder, as they can't get any more ferocious. "I said they're with us" grandpa corrects in a hard voice. "But they're human" Laurent protests. "Yes." Jasper says, his eyes on James. James slowly straightens out of his pose, but my parents don't. I don't know whether to relax or not. "It appears we have a lot to learn about each other." Laurent says, attempting to sound soothing. "Indeed" grandpa says. "But we'd like to accept your invitation." his eyes flicker from Bella, to me, to grandpa. "And, of course, we will not harm the human girls. We won't hunt in your range, as I said." James looks as though he had other plans. "We will show you the way. Jasper, Rosalie, Esme?" he calls. Mom and dad slowly slip out of their hunting crouches and everyone gathers together, blocking Bella and me from view. Dad steps in front of me so the only thing I can see is his back. He steps backwards slowly, never keeping his eyes off James. Alice is at Bella's side instantly.