Chapter 8: First Match

Harry and Ron are actually very good company. A lot more laid back than Hermione. As we get closer to November, it starts to get colder and reminds me a lot of Forks. This cold weather and wind makes for interesting Quidditch practices. As Saturday approaches, I get more nervous as we are up against Slytherin. I would love to win. That'll shut Malfoy up. Speaking of Quidditch, I realize I really enjoy Quidditch practice. The Quidditch team feels like a second family. Also, I get to spend more time with Fred and George, which is hard to do these days because we don't have any of the same classes and I have a lot of homework. Not only do I have mine, but Harry and Ron insist that Hermione and I look over their's and make sure it's right.

Hermione has become more lax about breaking rules, so the day before our first Quidditch match, the four of us are sitting around a fire she conjured in a jar. Talking, reading, and I'm writing a letter to my parents regarding my new friends.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm very pleased to have more friends in my grade. Don't get me wrong, I still hang out with Fred, Geroge, and Lee - mostly during Quidditch practice - but I have more time with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Harry and Ron are actually good company. Ron is really funny and they're both really nice. They do have Hermione and I check their homework a lot though. Which I don't mind doing. Most of the time. (They wanted to copy my homework but I put a stop to them copying me real quick).

I actually have a question. I know you want me to go home for Christmas break, but I've been talking to Harry and I get the feeling that he's not expecting much from his Christmas. From what he's told me, his aunt and uncle are huge jerks who don't get him a single decent thing for christmas - one time he told me he got a pair of his cousin's socks for Christmas - so I was wondering if I could stay at Hogwarts for Christmas. I'm not sure if it'll help Harry at all, but maybe he'll feel better knowing he has a friend with him. As far as I know, Hermione is planning on visiting her parents and Ron is planning on going to go home as well. It would mean a lot to me if you would let me stay.

My first Quidditch match is almost here. I'll tell you how it goes. I'm really nervous but we're up against Slytherin, so I can't afford to let my nerves get the best of me. If we beat them, it should shut them up. I hope all is well with you.

Love,

Chloe

By the time I've rolled my letter up, I see that Snape has approached us. He seems to be in a little bit of pain. "What's that you've got there, Potter?" Harry shows Snape his book. "Library books are not to be taken outside the school," says Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor." and he stalks away. "He's just made that up" Harry mutters. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" "Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," Ron says. I chuckle.

Later, the Gryffindor Common Room is very busy. All four of us are sitting together near a window while Hermione and I check their Charms homework. Out of nowhere, Harry announces that he's going to go get his book back from Snape. "I will attend your funeral" I say. I don't think that's much help, but he doesn't say anything. Soon, I return Ron's Charms homework to him and start on my History of Magic essay when Harry returns. "Did you get it?" Ron asks when Harry gets back. We look at his face. "What's the matter?" In a low voice, Harry tells us. "You know what this means?" he finishes breathlessly. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him - he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!"

"I don't know. I don't think he would do that. I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was trying to keep safe." I point out. "Honestly, Chloe, you think all teachers are saints or something" snaps Ron. I roll my eyes. "I'm with Harry. I wouldn't put anything past Snape. But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?" None of us know the answer to that question. Until I know more, I manage to push it to the back of my mind so I can focus on more important things. Before I go to bed, I manage to finish my essay, so that's a giant help. It makes me tired, so I sleep soundly later that night.

I wake up to a bright and cold morning. Harry and I walk to the Great Hall together to the smell of delicious food and lots of people talking. I manage to eat a couple pieces of toast, but after that I think I might hurl. The Slytherin Quidditch team is looking at us with evil eyes. They are all so big. When eleven o'clock rolls around, we are all getting dressed in our Scarlet Quidditch robes. Wood clears his throat for silence. "Okay men and women. This is it." "The big one" says Fred "The one we've all been waiting for," says George. "This is the best team Gryffindor's had in years. We're going to win. I know it." he glares at us. "Right. It's time. Good luck, all of you." I walk onto the field beside my fellow chasers Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell. We are greeted by loud cheers. I hope my hair is okay I think to myself. I have it up in a high ponytail with a long piece hanging out and a braid.

"Now, I want a nice fair game, all of you," Madam Hooch says, once we're all gathered around her. I have a feeling she's talking to the Slytherins. "Mount your brooms, please" she says. I climb onto my broom with my heart pounding in my throat. Fifteen brooms rise up higher and higher into the air, and we're off. Lee Jordan is providing commentary. When Angelina takes the Quaffle, I chase after her to hopefully stop any interceptions and to take it when she scores. A Slytherin is fast approaching her, so she tosses it to me. I dodge a Slytherin and a bludger, but an even beefier Slytherin is approaching me, so I toss it to the nearest Gryffindor chaser, which happens to be Angelina, but Marcus Flint intercepts it. I growl and chase after him. He goes to score, but Wood stops him. A great wave of relief floods through me. He throws it to Katie Bell, but she's hit in the back of the head with a bludger, so one of the Slytherin chasers takes it.

Thankfully, the Slytherin chaser is blocked by a bludger so Gryffindors regain possession of the Quaffle. Angelina flies ahead of everyone else and scores! I high five Katie Bell, who's nearest me. A Slytherin chaser catches it and us chasers follow him. Then, a flash of gold passes him, making him drop the Quaffle. I catch it, while everyone is watching Harry and the Slytherin Seeker try to get the snitch. As Harry flies faster and faster to get the snitch, I can spot Marcus Flint flying in his path... and then WHAM! He blocks harry on purpose and Harry is swung off course. "Foul!" I scream. Madam Hooch speaks angrily to Flint and ordered a free shot at the goalposts. I happily take the penalty and score no problem. Slytherin gets the Quaffle, but then I intercept it and pass it to Bell. Then, I happen to glance in Harry's direction.

Harry's broom is jerking and twitching as it goes higher and higher. "What is he doing?" I mutter to myself. Other people start to notice him to. His broom starts to roll over and over. His broom gives a wild jerk and suddenly Harry swings off of it, only dangling with one hand. I abandon the chasers and head over to Harry - as do Fred and George - but when we try to get near him, his broom jerks higher. "We can't get near him. It'll just make things worse" I say. I fly beneath him and try to position my broom just right so if he falls, he'll fall on my broom. Then, I see the broom stop, and he's able to climb back on. Hesitantly, I move away. Harry immediately starts zooming toward the ground. Then, I see him clap his hand to his mouth. He falls to the ground and looks like he's going to throw up, and then something gold falls into his hand. "I've got the Snitch!" he shouts, waving it above his head. The game ends in total confusion. Next thing I know, I'm in Hagrid's hut with a strong cup of tea.

"It was Snape," says Ron, explaining, "Hermione and I saw him. He was cursing your broomstick, muttering, he wouldn't take his eyes off you." "Rubbish," says Hagrid. "Why would Snape do somethin' like that?" Harry, Ron, Hermione and I look at each other. "I found out something about him," Harry tells Hagrid. "He tried to get past the three-headed dog on Halloween. It bit him. We think he was trying to steal whatever it's guarding." Hagrid drops his teapot. "How do you know about Fluffy?" he asks. "Fluffy?" "yeah - he's mine - bought him off a Greek chappie I met in the pub las' year - I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the -" "Yes?" says Harry eagerly. "Now, don't ask me anymore. That's top secret, that is." says Hagrid gruffly. "But Snape's trying to steal it." "Rubbish. Snape's a Hogwarts teacher, he'd do nothin' of the sort." says Hagrid. "So why did he just try and kill Harry?" cries Hermione."I know a jinx when I see one, Hagrid, I've read all about them! You've got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn't blinking at all, I saw him!" "I'm tellin' yeh, yer wrong! I don' know why Harry's broom acted like that, but Snape wouldn' try an' kill a student! Now listen to me, all four of yeh - yer meddlin' in things that don' concern yeh. It's dangerous. You forget that dog, an' you forget what it's guardin', that's between Professor Dumbledore an' Nicolas Flamel -" "Aha! So there's someone called Nicolas Flamel involved isn't there?" Harry says. Hagrid looks furious.