Chapter 15: Scares

I don't know how much later it is when we get to Bella's house. My instincts put me on alert, despite that I'm scared and can't do much to defend myself. I look out the windows and try and focus, but I don't see much. "He's not here," Edward says tensely. "Let's go." I get out of the car to let my dad out and then, per his instruction, I get in the front seat of the Jeep. He assures me that even though it may not look like it, he'll be watching me at all times. Then, I'm left alone. I try to distract myself by trying to hear Bella's performance. If I focus, I can make out words. Charlie is asking Bella questions about Edward and she's shrieking back answers. Fifteen minutes later, Bella comes rushing out of the house, tears streaming down her face.

Then, someone appears in the car. I jump when Alice says "it's just me." I try to calm down. "You have to calm down," she whispers. "You're going to be okay. We're not going to let anything happen to you. You're going to Phoenix with Jasper and I" she says. As we drive I ask "will my mom allow that?" She's quiet for a minute. "As long as I don't let you out of my sight, she won't complain too much" she says. I nod. I don't feel better, but I don't feel worse either. That's good, I guess. Then, she turns on the headlights and we follow Bella back to our house.

Several minutes later, we arrive at our house. Just as she stops the car, Alice carries me and rushes me into the house - where Edward, Bella, and dad are already waiting - and sets me in between my parents. Mom makes me stand behind her and she stands protectively in front of me. Peaking over her arm, I can see Laurent. My heart skips a beat. I can hear both of my parents growling in a warning tone. "He's tracking us," Edward announces, glaring at Laurent. He looks unhappy. "I was afraid of that." Alice goes to Jasper's side and then the two of them go up the stairs. Mom is still growling. I can see her go from Laurent to Bella. She looks even more mad now than she did in the field. I'm not sure who she's growling at now.

"What will he do?" grandpa asks Laurent. "I'm sorry," he answers. "I was afraid, when the girls were defended, that it would set him off." "Can you stop him?" Laurent shakes his head. "Nothing stops James when he gets started." "We'll stop him," dad promises. "You can't bring him down. I've never seen anything like him in my three hundred years. He's absolutely lethal. That's why I joined his coven." Laurent shakes his head. He glances at Bella, and then me. When he looks at me, mom completely blocks me from view. "Are you sure they're worth it?" Mom gets back in her hunting crouch and snarls, and Edward snarls to. Laurent cringes back. Grandpa looks at Laurent. "I'm afraid you're going to have to make a choice." Laurent thinks for a moment. He looks at everyone. "I'm intrigued by the life you've created here. But I won't get in the middle of this. I bear none of you any enmity, but I won't go up against James. I think I will head north - to that clan in Denali." he hesitates. "Don't underestimate James. He's got a brilliant mind and unparalleled senses. He's every bit as comfortable in the human world as you seem to be, and he won't come at you head on... I'm sorry for what's been unleashed here. Truly sorry." he bows his head. "Go in pease," grandpa says formally. He looks around, and then leaves. Mom slowly gets out of her crouch. I move to stand in between her and dad.

"How close?" grandpa asks Edward. I idly notice grandpa put the gray cover over the glass. "About three miles out past the river; he's circling around to meet up with the female." "What's the plan?" "We'll lead him off, and then Jasper and Alice will run them south." "And then?" Edward's voice turns deadly. "As soon as Bella and Chloe are clear, we hunt him." "I guess there's no other choice," grandpa says. Edward turns to mom. "Get her upstairs and trade clothes," he says. Is he stupid? Does he not realize mom doesn't like Bella? "Why should I?" she hisses, and I automatically take a step back. "What is she to me? Except a menace - a danger you've chosen to inflict on all of us. Especially my daughter. My child, Edward. My one and only child is being hunted by a psychotic tracker because of her." Without another word, mom scoops me up in her arms, and runs me upstairs.

She sets me in a dark room. If I squint, I can see it's her and dad's room. I can see her digging through her dirty clothes basket and then throws something at me. I feel it, and it's a pair of tan skinny jeans and a flowy black tank top paired with sandals. "Put these on" she whispers. "I'm going to your room to pack your things." She leaves and I'm left alone to change clothes. When I get older, I'm going to have mom's exact shape and figure. That doesn't mean I have it right now though. These pants are several inches too long - I have to roll up the ankles several times so I won't fall - and they are a little saggy on me. I go through her drawers to find a belt and then put it on. The shirt is a little big to. I don't have quite enough shape to fill it out. As if on que, mom comes back in a couple minutes. She looks at me and then tosses me one of her black jackets and I put it on. She picks me back up and brings me downstairs.

Edward and dad look ready to leave. Dad is carrying a heavy looking backpack. Grandpa is handing something to grandma, and then he hands the same thing to Alice. A cell phone. Mom sets me beside Jasper, where my trunk is already waiting. "Esme and Rosalie will be taking your truck, Bella," grandpa tells Bella. Bella nods and glances warily at mom, who glared at Carlisle. "Alice, Jasper - take the Mercedes. You'll need the dark tint in the south. They nod. "We're taking the Jeep." Withing a few minutes, the hunting party is gone. Mom pulls me in a tight embrace. "I love you so much" she says to me. I can feel tears prick in my eyes. I may not see my mom again. "I love you to" I whisper. She leaves to.

Then, Alice's phone buzzes. "Edward says the woman is on Esme's trail. I'll get the car." then she vanishes. My heart skips a beat. One of the vampires is on my mom's trail. I don't want that woman anywhere near her. The feeling of being a helpless child comes back. I stay next to Jasper. "You're wrong, you know," he says quietly. My head snaps up. He appears to be talking to Bella. "What?" she gasps. "I can feel what you're feeling now - and you are worth it." This makes mom's words come to my mind. How I wouldn't be in danger if Bella hadn't been here. She does have a point. If it hadn't have been for Bella, I might not have even bothered going to the game. I mostly wanted to see her reaction. I've been to plenty of games. I can't help but feel a little bit of resentment towards her. Then, Alice comes back. I head to the car with Jasper. I get in the backseat with Alice and we leave.