Chapter 2: New Revelations

*7 years later*

    I wake up earlier than I normally would. Normally, I wake up around 9 in the morning, but this morning I wake up at 7 to my whole body covered in a thin layer of sweat, despite it being Hoquiam, Washington in the winter. I immediately suspect that I'm sick. I'm sick a lot. Both of my parents are vampires and my grandpa figured out that while I do have vampire venom in my system - my dad's he suspects - all of my cells are protected my thin but strong film, and this enables my immune system to fight back against the venom. The problem is, my immune system is so focused on fighting the venom it leaves me sick with other things, like the cold and flu.

I get up from my comfortable bed and go to the bathroom to check my temperature. 102.9. Calm down, you might be overreacting I think to myself. The thing is, I overheard a conversation my parents were having last night when they suspected I was getting sick again. They had sent me to bed but as I was passing their room to go to the bathroom, I heard them talking to my grandpa. "As you know, I've been monitoring her blood for several years. I think I can confirm that as she gets older, the film surrounding her cells is getting weaker, albeit only by a couple thousandths of a degree, but it's still happening" I remember my grandpa saying. I heard my momma gasp. "And when the film stops working properly, will she become..." my momma Rosalie starts to say, but she doesn't finish her sentence. Obviously someone answered because I heard her break out into tearless sobs. After a minute, I remember her saying "she can't go through that pain. It's hard enough to just have to stand by when she has something as little as the flu, but the pain of becoming a vampire? Carlisle, you have to figure out something. How much time does she have left?"  "It's hard to say Rosalie. Ten or eleven years maybe? Possibly a bit more or a bit less." After that I quit listening because I didn't want to hear anymore. Grandpa has a theory as to why I have the film in the first place. He thinks it's because I'm a clone of my mother in terms of appearance and genetics.

I have no choice but to take a shower. I take a very quick cold shower to hopefully get my temperature down and then I walk downstairs to where my grandma is. Our house is four floors not counting the basement. The entire outside of the house is red and white. My room is on the second floor right next to my parents room. I find my grandma in the living room preparing my school day. Since I get sick a lot, my parents prefer to keep me home so I can stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Our living room is huge with a big tv resting over a huge fireplace. We have a long V shaped white leather couch and individual chairs along with a multitude of stuff for decoration.

"Hey Chloe-" she says when she sees me, but changes her mind on whatever she was going to say last minute. "What's wrong?" she asks worriedly. "I'm sick again" I say. She gets up and rushes over to me. She gets on my level and looks me over. "Did you take your temperature?" she asks. "102.9" I say. I start to panic again. What if me being sick all the time weakens the film around my cells? What if I become a vampire? I don't want it to hurt... Momma said that it would. Grandma starts to look worried. "Come on, I'll give you medicine" and she leads me to the kitchen. A lot of our cupboards and cabinets are wood and our countertops are granite. The medicine cabinet is reserved for me because nobody else needs it and grandma gives me two tylenol. ""I think you should just take it easy today. Lay down on the couch and watch tv" she instructs and I do what she says happily. Before I do though, she hands me an ice pack. Then I lay on the couch and watch cartoons.

To blend in with the humans, a lot of my family go to school. Today is no different, and my parents along with my Aunt Alice, Uncle Jasper, and Uncle Edward get home around 2:30. My momma sees me on the couch laying down and immediately runs over to me. Her ice cold hand feels really good on my hot forehead. My daddy follows soon after. "Are you okay?" momma asks worriedly. "I woke up sick" I say. "What's her temperature?" she asks grandma, who is standing above me. I then feel a thermometer in my ear. "100.9" grandma says. "Come here Chloe" momma says. She lifts me up and holds me. Her cold skin feels really good. I snuggle closer to her. "Em, come on" momma says and the three of us go up to their room.

Momma lays down on their bed and lays me on top of her with daddy laying next to her. Now would be a good time to ask if I'm going to become a vampire. Will they be mad though that I heard their conversation? I guess there's only one way to find out. After all, momma says it's always best to tell the truth. "Momma?" I ask hesitantly. "Yeah baby?" she responds while rubbing my long blonde hair. "Am I going to be a vampire?" she freezes, and so does daddy, who was trying to put me to sleep by rubbing my hand. "Where'd you get that idea?" daddy asks. I start to fidget a little bit. "Just curious" I lie. "Chloe" daddy says. He looks me in the eye, knowing that I lied. "I heard your conversation with grandpa last night..." I admit.

Daddy sighs. "You know it's not polite to eavesdrop" he says. I look down from his face. "I know..." I say, ashamed and embarrassed that I eavesdropped. "You deserve to know though" momma says and I look up at her. "Since your temperature is going down, you're not about to turn into a vampire. Your grandpa does think that as you get older, the film will get weaker. But, he also said that probably won't happen soon. Okay? Does that answer your questions?" momma asks. "I think so" I say. "Good" she says and I lay back down on top of her. "Are you mad at me for listening to your conversation?" I ask. "No. Now stop worrying, okay?" mom requests gently. "Okay" I say. Eventually a slip into a much needed nap.