Chapter 16: Hiding

I fall asleep a couple hours into the car ride. I wake up when we are in Sacramento because Alice got food for me - I don't think Bella was too happy about stopping, but I don't care. After I finish eating, I fall back asleep and wake up again when we are in Los Angeles. Jasper parks in a mall parking lot. "Stay with the car," Alice instructs Jasper. "Are you sure?" he asks nervously. "I don't see anyone here" she says. Alice takes Bella and I from the car. I try to ignore Bella as best I can in the crowded mall. I try to pretend she's not there

Alice leads us to the food court. "What do you want to eat?" she asks Bella, since I've already eaten. Bella gets a turkey sub and I have to wait for her to eat. I think Alice is suspicious by my behavior, but she doesn't say anything. When she's done, we start to shop. First she gets four pairs of sunglasses and then we go to another store where we get clothes. She orders me to pick out several outfits that I like and not to bother about what my parents will think about them. Since we're headed to Phoenix, I pick out quite a few light dresses, shorts, tank tops, and light shirts. I also pick out some sneakers. After everything has been paid for, Alice takes us to a bathroom and makes Bella and I go into a handicapped stall to change clothes. For me, Alice gives me a white flowy crop top with flowers on it and spaghetti straps and blue denim shorts. She also gives me brown sandals.

I wait for Bella to be done and then we leave the stall. We head back to the garage and Jasper gets out of the car when he hears us. "I knew I should've gone" he mutters when he sees Alice's bags. I take my hairbrush and sunglasses and head for the front seat, not bothering to listen to the rest of their conversation. As soon as my hair is brushed, I put it in a braided bun with some hair ties. Then, I fall asleep. I'm shaken awake a little while later. When I open my eyes, I see that we're at a hotel. Upon Jasper's signal, I get out of the car and am immediately repulsed. It's like walking into an oven that's set to the maximum heat. I hate the heat. I hate the sweating because it's very unattractive and makes me feel sticky. "Ew..." I mutter to myself so the staff don't hear.

After Jasper checks us in, we are quickly led to our large rooms. I take my luggage from the bellhop and put it on one of the beds. As soon as they're gone, I unload my school work from my luggage, which my mom has packed neatly in my bag. "What do you plan on doing?" Alice asks. "I'm going to work -" I say, but then I'm cut off by a fierce coughing fit. When I'm through, I look up at Alice, who looks alarmed. She pulls out a thermometer from a bag I hadn't realized she had. She sticks it in my ear. A few minutes later, she pulls it out. "100.6. Do your homework and take it easy" she orders. I nod. I grab my homework and move it to the large desk in the living area. Then, I get to work.

*Author's Note: I realized that the chapter I posted last week was supposed to have the title of chapter 15 and not 16, so I fixed that. Also, since this chapter is so short, I'll post two chapters today.*