Chapter 18: Rescue

The rest of the morning goes by quickly. After I'm all packed up and Jasper has checked out, we head to the airport to wait for the hunting party. I'm too tired to pay much attention to the airport. All I know is that it's busy and confusing. After I get breakfast, I slump in a chair next to Alice and wait for the hunting party to get here. I drift in and out of consciousness all the while. Then, when the plane has about 10 minutes before landing. "I think I'll eat now" Bella says. Alice stands. "I'll come with you." "Do you mind if Jasper comes instead?" she asks. "I'm feeling a little..." I look up and stare at her. I was under the impression she wasn't that comfortable around Jasper. Jasper stands up and goes with her anyway.

Several minutes later, I hear Alice gasp. I snap my head up. "What?" I ask. She has a look of complete horror on her face. She grabs my wrist and makes me go with her to Jasper. "Bella's gone" she tells Jasper. Panic crosses his face. "Where is she going?" he asks. "I can only see her in the studio" she says, but there's an edge to her voice. "She left a letter, right? Maybe there's something in there" I say. I run back to the luggage and, with Alice and Jasper beside me, I read it aloud. "Edward. I love you. I am so sorry. He has my mom, and I have to try. I know it may not work. I am so very, very sorry. Don't be angry with Alice, Jasper, and Chloe. If I get away from them it will be a miracle. Tell them thank you for me. Alice especially, please. And please, please don't come after him. That's what he wants, I think. I can't bear it if anyone has to be hurt because of me, especially you. Please, this is the only thing I can ask you now. For me. I love you. Forgive me. Bella" Just as I finish reading, the letter is yanked from my hand - giving me a paper cut in the process.

I look up and see that Edward yanked it from my hand. I didn't think he could get any paler, but he has. He looks at Alice. "How could you lose her?!" he growls. Carlisle puts his hand on Edward's shoulder. "Edward. This isn't Alice's fault. We don't have time to debate this. Alice where did Bella go?" he asks. "A dance studio on Fifty-Eight and Cactus" she says immediately. "Let's go" Edward says. We grab the luggage and walk at a fast human pace toward a rented car place. There are crowds of people, so several times we have to slow down so we don't run into people and draw even more attention to ourselves. Also, dad has to keep Edward from running faster than is natural for a human. Finally, after ten minutes of wrestling our way through crowds, we get to the rental car lot.

Alice pulls us out of sight. "We don't have time to get a car properly. The salesperson will leave the room in five minutes. Then, we can go to the yellow Ferrari" she says. We are careful to keep ourselves out of sight until five minutes later when the salesperson leaves the lot. "Now" Alice hisses. Dad picks me up and we vamp speed to the car. They barely slow when they put our luggage in the car and then me in the car. Ten seconds barely passes when we are off as fast as possible away from the airport. Edward's driving, but since we're around a lot of people, Edward can't go any faster than 30 mph unless he wants to crash into someone.

As soon as we're away from the vast majority of people, Edward immediately speeds up. Within five seconds, he is driving at 130 mph and doesn't drift below this speed. The car ride is dead silent. They seem to have an uncommunicated plan that they aren't telling me. Then, Alice says "Edward, step on it" and Edward increases his speed by 30 mph. Finally, we get to the dance studio. Edward parks the car out of sight from most other cars behind the studio. "Chloe, stay in the car" dad says. I nod. Before I can blink, they all leave the car at top speed. Then, I'm alone.

What I wouldn't give to be back at Hogwarts. This Easter Break hasn't been much of a break. I've had to do homework for most of it and then running from an expert tracking vampire. I think I'd rather be helping Harry, Ron, and Hermione trying to stop Snape from getting the Sorcerer's stone. I'd rather figure out how to get past Fluffy than be hunted by a vampire and my parents being in danger. Also, if I hadn't been away from school, I wouldn't have gotten sick like this. Edward left the car on so I don't overheat, but with Phoenix in the springtime, it doesn't do much. I'm sweating within minutes. I cringe to think what my temperature is. I'm trying not to cough because I know that James is in the studio. Before I can think any further, I'm taken from the car.

I try to scream when someone puts their hand over my mouth. "Chloe, it's just us" dad says. I stop struggling in his arms and look at him. My racing heart slowly but surely returns to its normal rhythm. Beside him, I can see Jasper. Both of them look to be not breathing. Dad doesn't set me down. As a matter of fact, he tucks me closer to him. His cold skin feels really good against mine. Their faces also look grim. "How's Bella?" I ask. They look at each other gravely. "Is she.... Dead?" I ask. "We don't know. There's a lot of blood" dad says. I can feel myself go very pale. Then, I smell something. Smoke. I start to struggle again, wanting to get away from it. Before I can get out of my dad's grasp though, we are joined by Edward, Carlisle, Alice and in Edward's Arms, an unconscious Bella. She looks very pale and she has a splint on her leg. Her wrist is also bleeding quite a bit. They have a quick silent conversation, and then we leave.